SaabCentral Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This issue has happened before, but it always seemed to fix itself before I ran out of gas. I have a 2000 9-3, and the fuel door won't unlock - no matter what I do.

Should I try to force it a bit with a pen or key? Could it be something as simple as a fuse, or is it more mechanical?

Any advice? thanks!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Nedward said:
This issue has happened before, but it always seemed to fix itself before I ran out of gas. I have a 2000 9-3, and the fuel door won't unlock - no matter what I do.

Should I try to force it a bit with a pen or key? Could it be something as simple as a fuse, or is it more mechanical?

Any advice? thanks!
I have a 2000 9-3 as well. This may sound petty but make sure your doors are all unlocked when you get out to fuel up. I have found that if I lock my doors when I get gas, the fuel door will lock as well. Just make sure they are all unlocked... anything beyond that I'm not too sure about.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Check fuse 20

p83, owners manual ,the little "invisible" flap, boot, RS.

Cut the outline.
Remove the lock motor two screws.
Repair as necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, of course I've tried locking, unlocking the doors. No problem there, nor with the hatch lock. The issue is with the fuel door lock - it seems to be stuck or broken.

Earthworm, I'll take a look at the manual but your post went over my head. ;-)

·
Registered
803 Posts
IIRC, from my owners manual there was a manual release in the trunk. Does yours have this? I have a '95 so it could be different for your year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn't able to find much reference to the fuel door in my manual, but I will look again. A manual release would be ideal.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
According to the diagram of the parts in EPC, the tank hatch electric motor DOES have an emergency, manual release rope or cord attached to the motor unit. You have to pull back the carpet in the hatch area to find the tank hatch motor to find the pull cable. While you in there, either extend the pull cable or remove the electric motor itself so that the tank hatch doesn't lock anymore until you can get it fixed or replaced.

·
Registered
281 Posts
There is a door from the inside, behind where the gas cap would be, and theres a lanyard / String tug on that, it will open.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Nedward, there are some differences between the '96 and the '00, look up fuel door or fuel filler in your manual, even the emergency lanyard should be mentioned.This subject may be covered along with the electric door locks...
The emergency lanyard will be inside the trunk(boot) on the right side(RS) close to the fuel filler door and neck. A pull wire/string should be there in the area...You may need some help here, one to pull the lanyard, the second to press a little on the gas cap access door to relieve possible overtightness...just guessing here.:cheesy:
There has to be some reason why the lock motor does not work...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea Earthworm, I think you're right. I looked in the manual, and it told me to check fuse #20. I did, and it looked fine. I tried a spare just in case, with no luck.

The manual says to cut open a perforated rectangle, to access some screws:

However, my car doesn't seem to have this rectangle in the trunk. I cut open the one I do have, and didn't find what I should have:

So, obviously this is not the correct location. I suspect that I should be looking behind the carpet, in line with the door. But, this would require making my own holes, guessing.

In the end, I took a screw driver, and sort of forced it open (carefully). Once open, I could push the little bolt in, where it seems to stay. So, now I don't have a locking fuel door, but at least I can put gas in my Saab!

Thanks all for your help. Hopefully this will be good enough!

·
Registered
481 Posts
From the pictures, thats the rear suspension. You got to look right inline with the fuel door. You will see (or just feel your way) similarly outlined rectangle.
I have done this once... not to scare you away, but when i got to undoing the bolt and pushed it up the locking motor fell into the slot (One of my very first DIY) :( . So when you do get to it make sure you holding on to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Any advice? thanks!
Try locking and unlocking your doors, that worked for me.

·
Super Moderator
20,429 Posts
Try not bumping 13 year old threads.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.