SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day while refurbishing my heater system I tried to find the fuel cut off 'module' so that I could adjust the threshold up to match my APC/FMIC. Could I find it? Could I heck. Earlier posts suggest you can adjust it from the speaker grille on the left side of the car. Left or right I couldn't see anything that resembled the 'flying saucer' with a screw in the top.

Could someone please direct me and describe the unit - unless, of course, I've been duped and now need to scurry away in shame!

Thanks All

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Here you go:

It can be a little tricky, but trace the vacuum-hoses, you'll find it. It's the same that provides signal to the boost-gauge in the instrument cluster.
Daniel.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
PHIL , according to Mr bentley 89 plus ( 2.4 ) does not have the cut off , it is controlled directly from the ecu . I cant say that is a 100% correct ,, Mine ,, an 89 ( 2.4 ) does have the cut off .........

If its there you will certainly find by following the vac line that comes thru firewall

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
phill,

behind the knee bolster (yep, prob have to take it out again ;) ) you will see on the passengerside, 2 large black relays bolted to the crossmember (one is wiper and the other is the indicator i think).... the fuel switche is behind them, with the vacuum lines attached

below, you can see the 2 relays, and the switch behind them (ignore the pedals in the background, must have been a LHD car ;))

G

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AUSSIE900 said:
PHIL , according to Mr bentley 89 plus ( 2.4 ) does not have the cut off , it is controlled directly from the ecu . I cant say that is a 100% correct ,, Mine ,, an 89 ( 2.4 ) does have the cut off .........

If its there you will certainly find by following the vac line that comes thru firewall
Thanks, this could be the answer 'though mine could be an '89 car sold in '90. I'll have to rip it apart again to check.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
drg23 said:
phill,

behind the knee bolster (yep, prob have to take it out again ;) ) you will see on the passengerside, 2 large black relays bolted to the crossmember (one is wiper and the other is the indicator i think).... the fuel switche is behind them, with the vacuum lines attached

below, you can see the 2 relays, and the switch behind them (ignore the pedals in the background, must have been a LHD car ;))

G
Thanks for this, I take it you mean the one with the single hose?

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
The single one is the boost-sensor, provides signal to the APC-unit. DON'T disconnect that one = MASSIVE overboost.
Daniel.

·
Registered
801 Posts
philjohnhb said:
Thanks Daniel - of course I don't know which way to turn the screw in the fuel shut off. which way do i go to increase the cut-off threshold, unscrew or screw in?
Phil I believe it is clockwise, you turn it "in" to tension a spring which makes it harder for the pressure to seperate the contacts....BUT about the most you can get that switch to allow is about 18 psi and they are sometimes tempermental and they do not like high boost, it may leave you stranded somewhere, I personally, REMOVE the switch, you can either remove the boost signal to it, or what I do is I make a wire jumper and unplug it jump the two wires together, you could hook them up to a hidden toggle switch just as a way to immobilize the car....

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Turn the midle large screw IN to allow higher boost. 1½-2 turn should provide around 1.5 bar of boost.
Daniel.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Breakin5speeds said:
Phil I believe it is clockwise, you turn it "in" to tension a spring which makes it harder for the pressure to seperate the contacts....BUT about the most you can get that switch to allow is about 18 psi and they are sometimes tempermental and they do not like high boost, it may leave you stranded somewhere, I personally, REMOVE the switch, you can either remove the boost signal to it, or what I do is I make a wire jumper and unplug it jump the two wires together, you could hook them up to a hidden toggle switch just as a way to immobilize the car....
Now that sounds like a smart idea, thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts