SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.. So I am OOW but my CEL is on i went to autozone they pulled the code and it said gas cap malfunction.. so i went to my dealer.They told me that it isnt a recall just a vourtesy fix but they need to diagnose it at 94.00 an hour.. any suggestions of what I can do??

·
Registered
358 Posts
Tighten the cap and run a tank of fuel through it to see if the light goes out. At least that worked on another GM model that I used to have.

·
Super Moderator
20,436 Posts
arckeymolarkey said:
Okay.. So I am OOW but my CEL is on i went to autozone they pulled the code and it said gas cap malfunction.. so i went to my dealer.They told me that it isnt a recall just a vourtesy fix but they need to diagnose it at 94.00 an hour.. any suggestions of what I can do??
Tell them to go **** themselves and find a new dealer.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
arckeymolarkey said:
Arkey, you have proven to be a good contributor......now I think you should inform your dealer, that a TSB/Service Campaign has been issued that places the gas caps on 03's under warranty for 10 years from the In-service date. As a matter of fact bring a lawyer you know with you and let them lie to you...then say..are you sure there's no service campaign or bulletin?, my attorney seems to think there is! You should be owed Free Service for life just because you not going to sue them for fraud.

Search... Gas Cap Warranty, the actual tsb is in the forum somewhere.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
unfortunately, from a business point of view, it doesn't work that way. if it's warranty, they need to verify it. to verify it, it COULD be as simple as plugging in the OBD, or COULD be much more extensive...how are they to know (your word doesn't count)? if your car enters the bay, the problem will be identified, regardless of what the real problem is. this is what the $95 covers. it SHOULD go towards your bill if you have to pay for out of warranty work, but should be waived if it's warranty approved. you still have to agree to pay (in the event it's not warranty) for it to be looked at.

·
Banned
631 Posts
SAAB has a recall on the Gas cap from 2003 - 2007

Your dealer should be replacing your Gas cap free of charge.

If they tell you otherwise. Call another dealer.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
It is actually a Service Campaign, if it were a recall you could just simply exchange the cap. This is a situation where it has to fail before it's replaced. It concerns 03 and early build 04 models. The Gas cap is now warranteed for 10 years from it's In service date. I'm not going to dig up the original letter.

I would definately check another dealer, it should not cost 100 bucks to scan a code, especially on a known issue. Coj is right though they do have to pull the code for the paperwork to account for the exchange.

Ctrlz has found a fix that seems to work, a bit of Silicone 0 Ring grease, I guess it rejuvenates the Ring on the gas cap and it seal better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
arckeymolarkey said:
I had a similar issue and feel your pain. Forget everything else (no offense to any other posts), here is what you need to do:
  1. Call up your dealer and ask them to repair the gas cap issue for free as per the service advisory letter dated November 2006.
  2. If they say that you'll have to pay for the diagnosis if it turns out to NOT be the gas cap, agree to it because you've already pulled the codes at AutoZone and you know what the code is.
  3. If they say they don't know what you are talking about, read the letter below to them. If they try to interrupt, politely ask them to remain quiet while you read the letter.
  4. If they STILL refuse, ask for a first and last name, and then call the 800 number listed in the letter below.
Above all else, after they replace the gas cap, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK TO MAKE SURE THEY ACTUALLY CHANGED IT! I won't get into the details of why on your thread, just trust me. I can also scan this letter for you if you need it. Hell, I'll send it to you since it does me no good anymore.

Letter Dated November 2006

Dear Saab Owner:

As the owner of a 2003-04 Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan or 2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2003-04 Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan or 2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible vehicles may have a condition where the fuel tank cap won't tighen properly, or the fuel cap won't come off, or is broken. These conditions may also cause the illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL).

Additionally, please be aware that the fuel cap may not seal adequately to the filler neck if pushed down when being tightened. Do not apply downward force to the fuel cap when tightening.

This is not a recall. Do not take your vehicle to your Saab dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: Saab is providing owners with additional protection for the fuel tank cap. If this condition occurs on yoru 2003-04 Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan or 2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichver occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a Saab dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may scheule the appointment at the time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your delaer to order parts if they are not already in stock. keep this letter with your other improtant glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enlcose form explains what reimbursment is available and how to request remibursment if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the Saab Customer Assistance Center between the hours of 8:00AM and 8:00PM EST, Monday through Firday. They can be reached at 1-800-955-9007.

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Scott Lawson
General Director,
Customer and Relationship Services

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
i've noticed i only get a CEL from the gas cap when i rush to tighten it, or close the cover before it's completely tight. usually if i take a few seconds and make sure it's snug, i won't have any issues.

but i will admit, it's always been a ***** getting the damn thing on. my hyundai and parents' cars takes 2 seconds.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Thanks for posting that letter, it will clarify the "recall" myth and the
MY's affected which both seem to have been distorted. Great to cut/paste or print if you have purchased an oow 03/4.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts