SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Price Lowered to $7000!

Regretfully, I'm putting my convertible Viggen up for sale. I'm asking $8000 or best offer but I'm also open to discuss trades for 9000 or 9-5 manual SAAB (if it has good service records) + cash. I'm the second owner, purchased the car from Reinertsen's 2 years ago with 92K miles. Currently 102,XXX miles, but it will increase as it is my daily driver. Good service records, including some mild modifications to improve handling. The car is in northern New Jersey.

Exterior is in good, not great shape, no rust but a few scratches since I had it touched up when I bought it. The usual Viggen front bumper rash. The top works fine and looks good. A couple of drops of water occasionally leak on the drivers side window. Previous owner lived most of the year in Florida, so no rust (service records show work done by Florida dealership).

Interior is charcoal, leather treated regularly but the back seat has some cracks. Windows all work. Tach light is out. Includes aftermarket aux in for the factory stereo. Front and door speakers upgraded. Also have a Viggen dash fascia included or for sale separately. Auto Climate Control was replaced with a used one. SID pixels all work. ABS sensor may be going bad; when the weather was hot this summer, the !, brake and ABS lights went off, restarting the car made them disappear.

Suspension has been upgraded. When I bought it, I installed Kumho Ecsta tires on refurbed Viggen wheels, OEM shocks, struts and URO strut mounts. Genuine Saab clamp and brace kit, 6 point subframe brace, and 22mm rear anti roll bar. Rear wheels shimmed to spec. Ride is now tight yet comfortable, corners nicely, but with a bit of a rattle from the top mechanism when the road deteriorates.

Engine's ECU is stock; the 2.3 liter Viggen engine has as much power as I've ever needed. When I purchased the car, the dealer had just done the headgasket (PO had traded it in when headgasket went). PCV-6 update had been installed by the dealer years ago. Oil changed with synthetic every 3K-4K miles. Replaced water pump this year. Replaced oil pressure sensor last year. Replaced clutch hydraulic line last year. Changed transmission oil with stock SAAB synthetic. Shifts well except for the occasional hesitancy getting into reverse when cold.

Here are some pictures from when I first bought it, freshly washed and waxed.. When my health permits, I will clean it up and take some more including the interior.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No interest at all? Price too high? Wrong time of year? Is CraigsList a better place to sell it?

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Nothing to do with your price (its good) or time of year...
Has everything to do with this crap economy and people have lost interest in nice cars, they'd rather lease a kia

·
Registered
38 Posts
Idk if its the color, I find this car to be beautiful and really wish i could afford it. I have an 01 2dr Vigg that I fell in love with the day I got it. This has to be one of my dream cars.

But as far as the lack of interest goes, most people don't even bother look at SAAB's anymore. I wish you the best of luck in selling it!
Also craiglist might help getting it out there.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Price Drop $7500

Dropped price to $7500, o/b/o. Also interested in trades for 3-series or 5-series BMW. Nice day today for a top down cruise.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There are many things that will prevent this car from selling at your asking price. $8000 more like $4-4500 unfortunately.

Saab's no longer carry that luster to the general public that they once have. It really is a very closed market borderline cult car. Not that every member wouldn't agree with you on the price they just aren't worth their salt anymore. I primarily blame GM for letting saab go bankrupt and no one willing to step up and claim the company.

Saab as a whole has been through the meat grinder. Thus creating a huge gap in overall worth of the vehicle. Two years ago a viggen in your condition with the mileage was roughly worth 9500-10000. Today... its a sad figure but most viggens in incredible shape are selling for roughly 3800-5500. The people who are buying these cars are looking for something very specific. Most of them want a 3dr coupe not a convertible or a 5dr.

Don't get me wrong but a Lazer Red Saab Convertible will be a hard sell. Most people are hurting financially and would like nothing more then to NOT be bothered by local or state police. That color is an instant hello here I am.

My words of advice from one viggen owner to the next... you need swallow your pride and take the big hit in the vehicles value or you drive the car until it is no longer running. Personally, I have decided that holding onto my viggen and keeping up on the maintenance is far more economical then going out to purchasing a new car.

If you are desperate for the cash and want to sell for sub $5000 send me a pm... I am sure we can work something out. We all wish you the best of luck during this sale. It's always sad to see someone moving on.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There are many things that will prevent this car from selling at your asking price. $8000 more like $4-4500 unfortunately.

Saab's no longer carry that luster to the general public that they once have. It really is a very closed market borderline cult car. Not that every member wouldn't agree with you on the price they just aren't worth their salt anymore. I primarily blame GM for letting saab go bankrupt and no one willing to step up and claim the company.

Saab as a whole has been through the meat grinder. Thus creating a huge gap in overall worth of the vehicle. Two years ago a viggen in your condition with the mileage was roughly worth 9500-10000. Today... its a sad figure but most viggens in incredible shape are selling for roughly 3800-5500. The people who are buying these cars are looking for something very specific. Most of them want a 3dr coupe not a convertible or a 5dr.

Don't get me wrong but a Lazer Red Saab Convertible will be a hard sell. Most people are hurting financially and would like nothing more then to NOT be bothered by local or state police. That color is an instant hello here I am.

My words of advice from one viggen owner to the next... you need swallow your pride and take the big hit in the vehicles value or you drive the car until it is no longer running. Personally, I have decided that holding onto my viggen and keeping up on the maintenance is far more economical then going out to purchasing a new car.

If you are desperate for the cash and want to sell for sub $5000 send me a pm... I am sure we can work something out. We all wish you the best of luck during this sale. It's always sad to see someone moving on.
nice attempt to low ball

·
Registered
114 Posts
Im not lowballing anyone. Its a sad fact that these cars are worth next to nothing anymore. They are a dime a dozen on craigslist for nearly half what he has posted.

It is in my deepest sorrow that another viggen owner is moving on. I said if he were desperate for the cash I could help him out. But by no means am I in the market for a viggen convertible.

I think he needs to re-evaluate his current situation. I'd love to see the guy keep the car. If not I'd consider listing it on other saab forums as well as ebay. with a moderate starting price at your reserve and your asking price.

There is a decent market on the West Coast just not so much here on the East. Hipsters in the North West still love their saabs.

I hope the OP doesn't take this to any offense nor as a lowball offer. Clearly, I am just another concerned saab owner trying to help another member out.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm starting to agree with caterinosmp, and am not insulted by the offer to help. While I'm not desperate for cash, I am on a fixed income and do need to maximize value. I don't mind at all driving the convertible into the ground, it just seems like a waste since I'm not supposed to drop the top anymore. Plus a local dealer has a 9-5 on his lot that I've got my eye on, but so far hasn't offered me more than $3K in trade-in. I've been advertizing on 3 SAAB sites, Ebay and Craigs List. One lowball offer so far. I have seen a couple of local CL Viggen Vert's listed in the 6k range, and they seem to have sold.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Beautiful car, I hope you sell it! It's too bad that the value is so low for a car like that.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Throw it on saabnet and be patient. The right buyer will come along. Just a question of how much of that waiting around is worth to you.
Its been on Saabnet for a month. One inquiry, didn't respond. Patience is not something I'm good at, but one can always learn.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Beautiful car, I hope you sell it! It's too bad that the value is so low for a car like that.
Thanks, I appreciate that. Its a great car and I loved driving it with the top down, but convertibles will always have their shortcomings as a daily driver, and thats what I need now.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not that this is related to a nice Viggen vert but I bought a base 2001 9-3 5-speed 89950 miles for $1100, then two weeks later bought a 2001 9-3SE 5 speed with 130,000k for $600! Granted they are in no where the condition your's is in. Good thing I have a great Saab technician. There's a plethora of Saab's here in California. Still, I love your Viggen and Laser Red rules!

·
Registered
821 Posts

dude we all know saab's history and their current condition, nobody on this site is oblivious to that fact as far as the car being red i've owned a red 3000gt and a red 300zx tt, neither of which i was ever bothered by the cops sorry to burst your bubble but color is a myth, yes it may stand out more but cops don't see a red car and say hello i'll pull you over

regardless of whether or not you are trying to "help another member out" you're post and lowball sucks, i'm about 40 minutes north of you so we both see the same viggens for sale, of the ones i have seen for sale few have matched the condition this car is and have been listed for between 4800-7500, yes some have had less miles but not by much. Unless you're buying all the viggens in incredible shape how do you know what they are selling for and please forward me the links for these excellent shape viggens for 3800 because i'll gladly purchase 1 or 2, send your offer in a pm next time don't try to be a dink to the seller

gl with the sale to the OP, nice car in a color that isn't very common, hopefully everything turns out well

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
maybe a KBB would list it that low, but someone will come along. 7k isn't unfair at all. Come on a red viggen? Any enthusiast with the money would jump on that, i have yet to see a viggen on the road where i'm at. Good luck with the sell

1 - 20 of 47 Posts