SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I wrote out a big, long description to post to classified ads only to have the clutch slave completely fail on me the next day. Everything below still applies, but the car is not longer drivable and will have to be towed/shipped.

$1,300 (I can't believe I'm going this low!)

Description: I *really* don't want to sell this, but I no longer have the time or a place to do maintenance on the car, and I don't want to see this car suffer as a result. She needs to go to someone who can let her live out her old age as the amazing machine she is. This car recently won First Place People's Choice Award for non-Aero 9000s at [email protected] 2012.

The Basics: 1992 9000 Turbo with around 236,000 miles. Engine was replaced by previous owner with a true "granny-driven" and rebuilt LPT motor that by now should have just around 100,000 miles on it (~20,000 since rebuild). Equipped with Carlsson/Airflow body kit (with DTM spoiler) and Super Aero wheels (includes Summer Yokohama S-Drive tires with ~5,000 miles one them and Hankook Winter iPike tires that have a few seasons left on them). The car is not without its issues (see below), but with a little work and time I feel it can be one of the better examples of pre-facelift 9000s out there. This car has the ETS (electronic throttle), though it has never given me an issue other than one "limp-home" episode that corrected itself after a restart. Most of the parts for a conversion to non-ETS are included (see below).

Extras: There are a lot of extras included that aren't currently installed: original front and rear bumpers and trim, chrome grille with mesh insert, "ducktail" spoiler, Carlsson side skirts (would require some minor modification to install), cat delete pipe, original DI/APC chips, non-ETS throttle body/pedal assembly, non-ETS T5 wiring harness, T5.2 ECU, spare DIC, a roll of headliner material, headlamp wipers, and assorted spare trim/switches/etc.

Modifications: Group9 "Stage 2" DI/APC chips, center muffler delete, JR cold air intake (wonderful turbo sound!), SD Red springs (only front springs are installed right now, but the rears are included), painted front calipers (black with white "SAAB" lettering), and A-pillar boost and AFR gauges. Valve cover is polished, and a glass sunroof was installed. Clear side markers and indicators. Dash and vent bezels wrapped in matte graphite 3M DI-NOC vinyl. Replaced stock security system with a Viper 3202 2-way paging alarm system and added a driver's door actuator to allow keyless entry (wasn't available on '92 models). I upgraded the sound system to feature a Kenwood KIV-BT900 headunit (note that this unit does not have a CD drive and is made to work with iPod, memory sticks, or auxiliary inputs), 4" Infinity Kappa front speakers and 6.5" Kappa component rear speakers. Speakers are time-aligned and crossovers are optimized in the headunit for amazing imaging and sound quality. Pre-wired for amp/sub, but nothing is installed. High-quality custom Hexomat floormats in the front.

The Good: Rare Carlsson/Airflow bits. Engine is strong and it's a blast to drive with the 4.05 ratio gearbox. Leather seats are in fantastic shape- they were meticulously cared for and it shows. One of the transverse stitches on the driver's bottom cushion needs to be re-sewn, but it's an easy fix. AC blows cold air. Original manuals and book holder. Many extras. And did I mention that this car is just awesome?

The Bad: Needs some work (what old SAAB doesn't?), but is still quite drivable. Clutch and slave cylinder were replaced last July (2011), but replacement slave cylinder has been leaking ever since. It's not an issue if you keep the brake fluid reservoir topped off, but it's something that will certainly need to be addressed(SLAVE HAS FAILED COMPLETELY, SEE ABOVE). Rotor/pads are due for replacement or refurbishment. The front cross-drilled rotors have some grooving but might be able to be turned. There is a small rust spot forming on the front passenger's side wheel arch that should be addressed. Lower engine mounts worn. A hole has formed on the rear passenger's wheel well near the shock tower attachment point. The reinforced metal where the shock attaches to seems to be unaffected. A few suspension bushing should be replaced. Though the ACC system operates otherwise properly (including air conditioning), the arm of the temperature mixing door has broken where it attaches to the actuator cable. To adjust temperature, you'll have reach into the false bulkhead and manually move the mixer arm.

The Ugly: Original paint is still shiny and in overall decent condition, but there are numerous small chips/scratches. The bumpers can use some filler and a respray to make them perfect. Polished tailpipe fell off (I still have it, but haven't gotten around to fixing it). Large dent on driver's C-Pillar that can probably be popped out. Both driver's doors were replaced with a later 9000s, so side rub strips do not attach perfectly and need to be held on with double-sided tape. Front passenger's wheel arch has a broken rivet that causes it to start to separate a bit from the body in the front. Two of the four wheels have quite a bit of curb rash, but all are straight. There is an area on the rear driver's fender that is showing some bubbling- there was some sort of Bondo repair in the distant past that isn't aging gracefully. It is mostly covered by the bumper. While the "bottom half" of the interior is mostly issue-free, there is no fabric on the headliner (though a roll of it is included) and a the fabric on the C-pillars is coming off. Driver's horn button fell off (I have like 3 of them, but all of them have broken tabs and won't stay on). Overall? I think it's one of the most beautiful cars on the road, but I'm biased.

Pictures:

Scrapes to rear bumper are especially exaggerated here.

Note the bubbling where the bumper meets the body and the dent on the C-pillar. The bubbling is from an old Bondo repair; there does not appear to be any actual rust.

I will gladly answer any questions to the best of my ability, so feel free to ask. I will also attempt to get some more photos in the coming days. If there's anything specific you'd like a picture of, let me know.

While I will give every effort to represent the condition of the car to the best of my abilities, there may be other issues that I am unaware of. Vehicle is sold as-is.

Thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sam!

Hopefully another great SAAB will take her place. I'll be sad to see her go.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really need to get her gone (wow, it pains me to say that!). Got an '08 9-3 Aero now.

Hit me with your offers (whatever it may be); I'm also willing to hear partial trades for 9-3 performance parts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
she looks like a beauty... would love to have her but I live in Philadelphia so a 5 hour drive would be impossible. How much would you sell her with the slave fixed or are you not interested in doing that?

Best,

David

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
she looks like a beauty... would love to have her but I live in Philadelphia so a 5 hour drive would be impossible. How much would you sell her with the slave fixed or are you not interested in doing that?

Best,

David
Don't really have the time/money to get it fixed at this point. If you had a vehicle with a tow hitch, you can always rent a dolly from U-Haul for like $60-$80 if that's an option.

Also... any offers? She's very lonely right now.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I have to get this thing off the street.

That means that sending it to the crusher may be likely. I don't want that to happen.

·
Super Moderator
9,808 Posts
Fix the slave. Then list it on Saabnet, it will be bought in less than a week, I guarantee it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts