SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2001 (still warrantied) 95 v-6 wagon to the dealer for the 50k (at 47k) service, and to have a few issues checked out. The most troubling issue has been a rhythmic squeak from the passenger/front wheel. A coyote-like howl emanates from my steering column from time to time. A machine-gun like rattle coming (I belive) from the dashboard occasionally, but stops if I turn off the ventilation system. Sometimes when I start the car first thing in the morning, it idles quite rough, stalling a couple of times. None of these problems were there when I purchased the car in February.

I will be driving this vehicle from the Seattle area to Montana next month and wanted these things fixed/addressed so there would be nothing to worry about during our vacation. I am 2900 miles or 7 months away from the end of my warranty.

Appearantly, the service writer did his own "phone diagnosis" on the squeeky wheel, and only wrote "brake job" and "50k service" on the service order. The brake pads were almost 100% so no further service on the wheels was done. The 50k service was presumably done, although I am sure that the road test portion was NOT done or they would have heard the squeaky wheel. They say that the howl could not be reproduced so they cant do anything, the machine gun sound could not be reproduced, The service tech tells me to fill up with regular unleaded instead of high octane to solve the rough start/idle issue..etc...

I picked up the car the next afternoon, drove it a half block and came right back. The wheel was still squeaking!! :evil: They put it up on the lift and took the wheel off and lo and behold, the aftermarket brake pad is grooving the caliper because it really doesnt fit (loose), and now I need new pads, calipers and rotors because they are damaged. I will have to bring it back next weekend to get this work done to the tune of 500 us dollars. I was very angry because I took Friday off to bring the car so they would have plenty of time(two days) to figure these things out, and they just did the absolute minimum. So I drove home with a squeaky wheel, a howling steering column, a ventilation system that sounds like its shooting a gun, and a 160 dollar hole in my wallet. Much bigger hole to come this weekend!

Whats the point of my posting, you ask? Mostly just to vent my frustrations, but also to seek guidance from those of you who know these cars. Any ideas about what is causing these weird scary noises? Are these guys full of it? Does the brake story they are telling me plausible? Any input would be a great help to me. :roll:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey, what dealership did you take the car into?
I am going to use Carter Saab in Ballard for the timing belt (warranty) but upon a lot of recommendations from local Saab owners I should take my car to Scanwest Saab. they are located in Greenwood area. 95th and greenwood.

X

·
0 Posts
Nothing wrong with venting fella :confused: Most people who have owned a car for any length of time have had services like that, bloody frustrating though :x

·
Registered
186 Posts
You say that aftermarket brake pads were doing the damage to the disk. Clearly you want (need) to get the brake job done to fix the problem and make the car safer to drive.

Do you know who fitted the brake pads? Was it the dealer? If so, I'd be arguing that their poor quality service (bad fitting or choice of parts) has caused the damage and that they should bear the cost of repairs. If this is the case, I would also be reporting them to Saab USA as I'd be pretty confident that Saab USA would not support non-genuine parts being fitted by a dealer (especially during the warranty period) - I know Saab Australia definitely do not.

If someone else has fitted the pads, then I'm afraid it is simply a case of "learn from past mistakes" either your own or someone else's. I know this is no consolation (I've been in a similar position myself, but not that expensive).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased the vehicle as a lease return. The previous owner had non-dealership service done to his leased vehicle. The issue really isnt that the repair has to be done, but more that they didnt find it when I took the vehicle in and told them that the wheel was squeaking. They did the 50k service (I think) and looked at the brake pads. Period. They obviously didnt do the road test that they are supposed to do with the 50k, or they would have heard that the squeak was still there. So I have to drive 75 miles and give up my car for another weekend- a big pain in the butt just because they didnt do their job.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
What I'm trying to figure out is why the guy wrote "brake job" and no one seems to have once pulled the wheel. Now I used to work in a garage and did a fair share of brake jobs. If they've somehow figured out a way to do it with removing the wheel then I want to know about it! :cheesy:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Man, that sucks when you get a dud for a dealer. :( Sorry. I consider myself pretty fortunate that my dealer seems to be decent.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My dealer here in Milwaukee has lied to me, overcharged me and I've gotten to the point where I will be doing my own work. (I have recently completed a frame off restoration of a 64 Corvette...)

In my case it was replacing a DI cassette - they told me it needed all this "programming" and it would take 45 minutes just for that... the guys on the forum straightend me out on this - I replaced the other one in under 10 minutes.

I had them replace a throttle body too - $750.00US - Now I know how easy that job is. The only problem now is getting parts.

These cars are not that hard to work on. You just ask Chris or Finn or Kermit and they'll give you the what's what.

All you need then is a set of metric tools....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts