SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to sound off a bit here. I've posted a few times on this issue and now I'm really frustrated.
The heater controls on my 99 9-3 (manual climate system) have given me problems from the beginning when I bought the car new. I've had to have issues fixed at least a half dozen times, including many broken knobs, broken plastic shaft that connects the ventilation control knob to ventilation housing assembly, etc. Constant issues. Finally I see that there have been several "service advisories" on this issue so I see that Saab has known about it all along. During my most recent repair, I had to replace the whole heater ventilation assembly (at a cost of $875 including labor). My mechanic (whom I trust) trust, tried cleaning and lubricating the locked wheels that direct air flow to different location (feet, panel, defrost) but after several attempts, he could not even turn them manually with his hand. Turns out they were warped (made of plastic) and would never turn no matter how much they were lubricated. So I had to replace the whole thing. Clearly Saab knew about these issues with several service bulletins, but of course I had to continually pay for repair once I was out of warranty. This really infuriates me. A $40,000 car should NOT have such issues! How could I ever feel comfortable buying another Saab!
I love my car and the way it drives, but I can't support a company that rips off it's buyer's this way.
Plus, now my cruise control does not work. Guess the steering column was reconnected incorrectly.......AARGH!!

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
I have this issue with one of mine, it shredded a replacement plastic shaft in a few weeks, I want to try and make one out of bits of cheapo 1/4 drive socket piece [need a cheap UJ and a shaft] funnily enough [not for you] the other 900's I have owned have not had this and my 1st ng900 [one of the first, delivered in late 1993] was still running factory equipment in this area and was silky smooth too at 10 years of age.

Cruise could be a pedal switch out of position/setting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts