SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright my car problem of the week,
so tonight i decided to wash my car, which was probably a bad decision since it was around 10 degrees F. i thought it would be fine as long as i got it dried quick enough and i could barely look at it with all the salt eating away at the paint. So i park it right after i had it dry and leave it for an hour or so with the emergency brake engaged, as i always do when parking. So i got in the car after an hour or so of sitting in the frozen temperatures and try to reverse and it feels like the ebrake is still engaged. not brake light was on the dash the car just felt stuck. So i accelerate a little harder and hear a slight pop and then the car is freed up. Was the ebrake frozen due to the water from the car wash? and i suppose im not supposed to use the brake when it is this cold...who knew.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
898 Posts
Since you had the handle down, I think it could have just been the wheels frozen in place. That's happened to me a few times, i just have to give it some gas to break out of it.. shouldn't be a big deal

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? What part of the wheels could be freezing in place? Axles? Given water did get everywhere on the car including the undercarriage so anything could have frozen

·
Registered
898 Posts
I don't really know, could be anything I guess. So long as your handbrake still works and your wheels still turn, you're probably just experiencing some normal effects of winter on a car

·
Registered
898 Posts
Why not at all?

It was my impression that it's good to use it at least once in a while in the winter, to prevent it from freezing

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
No.

Don't use it in winter at all. The e-brake placement is comically unsuited to cold weather, and has been since the C900.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Yes don't use the e-brake in the winter. The cable that runs to the rear drum brakes freezes up.
If you want to exercise it during winter, do it while the car has been parked underground for several hours.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I never use mine in the winter. At least not for parking purposes. I always try to find a nice level spot or get the car loosely stuck in snow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts