SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-

On my 2004 9-3 the upper front windshield weather-strip is deteriorating and I would like to replace it…..anyone know how/if its possible to temporarily remove the sides strips to replace the top…..there was a previous post and it looks like someone might have posted instructions on rapidshare but the link is now dead.

Thanks

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hello all-

On my 2004 9-3 the upper front windshield weather-strip is deteriorating and I would like to replace it…..anyone know how/if its possible to temporarily remove the sides strips to replace the top…..there was a previous post and it looks like someone might have posted instructions on rapidshare but the link is now dead.

Thanks
Can't help you on the how to, but I do have a part# if you need it. 12789696. I just had mine replaced under warranty, glass removal not necessary for front or back.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wondering the same thing. I believe the side strips come off, but I don't know how to remove them either.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had my front and rear weatherstrips replaced under warranty a few months ago. The windshield weatherstrips/gasket required removal of the glass. The rear did not.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It is possible to replace the front upper strip without taking out the glass. Requires trimming a couple of spots on the strip, lubricating the crap out of it, making a special hook shaped flat head screwdriver tool, and about an hours worth of your patience and time.

I just did it to my 9-3SS and it was tricky.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Chef-

Do you mind describing a little more step by step detail how you did it?????

Interestingin reading these and older posts, some state their glass was removed, some did not???

I called the local Saab dealer for the front and they quoted $200 P and L, so I doubt that included taking it off.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Absolutely!

My old Decor Strip for the front windshield was in pretty poor shape with a few chunks taken out of it. It was a bit of an eye sore.

I bout a new Decor Strip from my local dealer for about $30.00.

According to the WIS this strip is to be installed with the windshield out of the car. That wasn't going to happen.

I began by removing the old one.

First the two trim strips on the side of the windshield, all you have to do is lift those up from the bottom of the windshield and they pop right off.

Next, the two black trim strips that run from front to back on the roof came off. Again those just lift off the roof with some gentle pulling.

With everything out of the way I took a flat head screwdriver and starting at the drivers corner pushed enough of the Decor Strip off so I could grab it by hand and quite literally just pulled it off the top of the windshield.

The next step was to get the new one out and lube it up. I used Vaseline since it was the only paste lubricant I had available. I would recommend silicone paste if you can find it as clean up is much easier.

I applied the lubricant to the top of the windshield and also put a nice thick layer of it inside the "C" channel of the Decor Strip.

The next thing I needed was a tool to push the strip back on from behind the flap that rests against the roof. This would prevent any damage to the visible areas of the strip. I had a small 3" flat-head pocket screwdriver that I put in a vise and bent into a 90 degree bend roughly half and inch from the tip.

Now that I had the tool to install it, came the fun part. I began by roughly fitting the strip to the top of the windshield. I pushed the trim strip on as much as I could without the use of the screwdriver. The strip was held on by friction at about a 45 degree angle from its normal position. Starting on the drivers side, once it was in place I slipped my "hook" tool in behind the flap of the strip that contacts the leading edge of the roof. Using a downward pull motion I slipped the "C" channel onto the windshield and back into it original position.

I managed to get about 13 inches of it back on the windshield within a few minutes before I ran into problems.

The first problem. I couldn't reach the center of the windshield and get the leverage I needed. The solution: Open the sunroof, take off my shoes, stand on my drivers and passenger front seats and install the strip from the top of the car through the sunroof.

The second problem. I couldn't get any more that the first 13 or so inches to go back on. The solution: trim the spacer tabs off the bottom of the decor strip. When you get your new decor strip you will notice some spacer strips molded into the rubber under the "C" channel. These strips are about 2 inches long and 1/16th of an inch thick. They ensure proper spacing of the strip when installing it onto the glass if it has been removed from the car. Because I didn't trim them off the strip wouldn't slip back onto the top of the windshield since the spacers were binding it up. I trimmed them off with a utility knife.

Once I solved my two issues the strip pretty much went back on the way it started on the drivers corner.

Once the strip was back on, I cleaned all of the lubricant off the windshield, the strip, the roof, my hands, and whatever else I managed to get it on and popped the rest of the trim back on that I removed earlier.

It is a bit of a tedious job to do but it definitely looks much better not having a chewed up trim strip to look at when you walk to the car. ;ol;

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chef-

Thank you sooooo much, you are the man! ;ol;

This (and the rear) are my summer projects.....funny you mentioned doind that to the screwdriver because a post I read regarding the rear mentioned a similar tool, saying they pick it up like at a Home Depot.

OK so the side strips, I can just pull them off from the bottom (starting down near my engine) with my finger or a tool?? Also I never really noticed any strips that run from the roof that might interfere with this project, but I will see what you mean today.

So other than the lubricant you didn't use and adhesive??

The rear decor strip sounds a little less tedious from what I have read---have you done that one yourself as well?

Thanks a million, really!!!;ol;

·
Super Moderator
18,995 Posts
Just did this. Easier than the rear, by far. Pretty much followed above. Didn't need to pull of the roof trim, just the 2 sides.

Made my own tool out of a piece of metal about 1/16" thick and 2" wide. Better wide so you don't punch a hole in the trim. Beat a 1/2" tip to 90 degrees with a hammer and my vice. Did the entire thing through the sunroof. Easiest way to do it was to get a flathead screwdriver and push the trim in behind the little flap along the top. There is a little ledge in the trim you can use to push it right onto the windshield at the perfect angle (assuming you are standing through your sunroof). Pushed it all the way across with the screwdriver, then used my tool to snug it all the way in.

Also, used Dawn dish liquid as lubricant. Took awhile at the carwash to get it all off as it was everywhere. Figured it was better than silicone to try and get off the windshield.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just did this. Easier than the rear, by far. Pretty much followed above. Didn't need to pull of the roof trim, just the 2 sides.

Made my own tool out of a piece of metal about 1/16" thick and 2" wide. Better wide so you don't punch a hole in the trim. Beat a 1/2" tip to 90 degrees with a hammer and my vice. Did the entire thing through the sunroof. Easiest way to do it was to get a flathead screwdriver and push the trim in behind the little flap along the top.

Also, used Dawn dish liquid as lubricant. Took awhile at the carwash to get it all off as it was everywhere. Figured it was better than silicone to try and get off the windshield.
Just came across this - great writeup by SwedishChef and Diggs was right about both the wider tool (I didn't take *that* advice and punched through a couple of times) and using Dawn instead of silicone, makes cleanup simpler.

Did mine today looks SO much better! I'd had the trim piece sitting around for a long while but had concluded the windshield needed to be removed to install. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I just replaced my windshield and it seems that the top trim has a huge gap at the center. The sides look fine and the rubber touches the edge. Just the center portion. I'm wondering if it's because of the aftermarket glass curvature or is it the aftermarket trim. Also is it important to have a good seal? To avoid Crap and especially winter salt going in? When the original windshield was removed, it was really clean under and rust free. I'm getting worried.

·
Super Moderator
18,995 Posts
Post a pic.

The trim is for aesthetics only.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Normally I wouldn't resurrect an old thread but I didn't want it to seem like I didn't do a search!

My 2008 9-3 Aero SC top front trim is deteriorated badly. But it seems like it is a metal trim piece with rubber or plastic covering. Is that what the OEM strip is (12789696)?

Don't see how that could be installed or even taken off easily without removing windshield, and that isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Normally I wouldn't resurrect an old thread but I didn't want it to seem like I didn't do a search!

My 2008 9-3 Aero SC top front trim is deteriorated badly. But it seems like it is a metal trim piece with rubber or plastic covering. Is that what the OEM strip is (12789696)?

Don't see how that could be installed or even taken off easily without removing windshield, and that isn't going to happen.

Yes, that's the part for the top of the windshield and it is indeed rubber over metal. The OEM rubber wasn't too robust though and there was a known issue with premature deterioration. On my '05 almost all the rubber came off in a matter of 6 or 7 years from purchase.

It's not too bad to get the new one on, just need a couple of plastic pry tools, dawn dish soap, and some patience. I'm really pleased with the results of mine, made the car look much nicer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
422 Posts

I just put chrome trim tape on of it, works ok and it was $10.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I just put chrome trim tape on of it, works ok and it was $10.
Interesting quick fix. I wonder if there is a black trim tape, as I like the black look better than chrome. I will look around.

Since this is cosmetic there are probably options

·
Registered
258 Posts

Haha, I'm glad you resurrected this. I resurrected another thread about the front windshield and this thread answered my question. Would've have seen it if it wasn't for you :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Just did it as well.

Tools used:
1) wide blade panel removal tool to remove side trim,
2) pretty thick spear-like tool to push upper weatherstrip. Both tools are from this set.
3) rubber mallet
4) wd-40 silicone spray

Sprayed the lower side of the weatherstrip and the glass edge with silicone spray. Kept pushing the weatherstrip with a thumb and the spear tool. Tool was dull and thick enough not to tear the rubber, also nylon is pretty soft by itself.
When I couldn't push anymore (I'm not heavy enough :cry:), I simply used a rubber mallet. The trick is to hit the weatherstrip lightly in a direction perpendicular to the glass surface, or even just a little a bit in a backward direction.

Great hint above about working from the sunroof. I'd like to add though, that one should never stand on a front seats if they have heating pads. Heating elements are very thin, and replacement requires a lot of time.
So I just moved seats forward, and stood on the floor behind them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for all the info, just did the front and back, only took about 45 min.
Couple tips...
1) I used a paint can lid remover tool to install. It's bent on the end (rounded) and easily pushed the trim on without worries of cutting.
2) In the rear, start on one of the corners at the top and work your way across and down.
3) Removal is easy once you get it lifted , its soft enought to pull out.
4) Before any removal, I box knife and vaccum the oil rubber so it's easier to get out.
5) I cleaned the perimeters and under with a tooth brush and vaccum all the old rubber.
6) Using tooth brush I lubed with White Lithium grease, it just slid right on so easily I thought I'd pass this on.
7) The front window trim on the sides pops out and is just snapped on , so start at the bottom, don't worry.
And everyone is right, you don't have to remove the windows!
Thanks to all!!
DonsSaab

1 - 20 of 20 Posts