SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading through the owner's manual (I had nothing better to do) and I noticed in the "In case of emergency" section that there is a fuse that can be inserted into the fuse box under the hood to disable All-Wheel-Drive and use Front-Wheel-Drive only. It seems this is only available on the Linear with an automatic tranny.

I was wondering if this FWD feature can be used for an extended period of time (like the summer months, rotating the tires often of course ;))?

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The main reason for this is likely due to the spare being smaller than the standard tires and would turn at a faster revolution which could affect the AWD system.

If you look under the Driving Tips section of the manual, there's a warning about the use of different size tires can result in "severe" mechanical damage to the drivetrain.

There's no reason why you couldn't leave it in FWD mode, but you'd lose the AWD advantages.

John

·
Registered
46 Posts
the amount of efficiancy gained would be offset in worry over mechanical part failure. If you were worried aboutgas mileage, trade it in on a Honda.

·
Registered
86 Posts
spaceman599 said:
Better fuel efficiency.
While it may seem logical to you that pulling a fuse to convert your car to FWD will save you money at the pump, your logic is flawed.

The only modification you need to do in order to increase fuel efficiency is modify your use of the gas pedal. Even with 565cc injectors, a big turbo and 366hp, I can get great gas mileage out of my WRX if I just stay off boost and putter around town.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts