SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question,

The part located just between the spring and the bellows, on thesaabsite.com it is listed as a $6.11 part. The "spring spacer". I have just disassembled and cleaned a pair of front strut assemblies and found on where the bottom of the spring would sit, a small round plate. Very corroded, I wish to replace it.

I searched all 7 of the major saab parts suppliers, and only found the slightest info mentioned above. I couldn't even see it in Dip's breakdown.

It should be just inside the bowl on the spindle.

For those who have done suspension work, did you run into this part? Did you replace it? And is it the $6.11 part in question?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Or, you could use a piece of tubing, slide in the first turn of the spring, and voila! You have something that protects against these problems...

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I did fit one (long story, haven't had chance to tear down to do the other yet!) with the Koni kit - I had a hell of a time getting Saab to track down the right bit!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
It's to prevent metal-on-metal, right?
you could substitute it for just about anything, since there's always pressure on the spring and it can't really wiggle out.

I like the tubing around the first coil idea.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have like 3 shots left before I get the cam developed...

They are terrifically saab parts however. The number and "SAAB" are defiantly stamped right into the part. Companys like Nissan or Mazda don't bother doing that.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
G96nt said:
It's to prevent metal-on-metal, right?
you could substitute it for just about anything, since there's always pressure on the spring and it can't really wiggle out.

I like the tubing around the first coil idea.
If you don't use a very strong material, you can expect it to tear through in a pretty small amount of time.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
I think its made from a soft material to stop noise; though judging by the way it corrodes I wonder if it's a sacrificial anode to stop the spring from weakening?

Partsforsaabs can get them easily enough btw.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It lives in the "bowl" where the spring sits. I found much dirt and grime in there. I am going to apply some copper grease to both sides on installation to prevent potential corosion and to dampen any resonant vibrations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts