SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 9-3 linear

so, had one of the front springs snap and saab will not pay because i don't live in the "snow belt" :x

i am trying to find a good source for a new set of front springs. local parts stores cant get them. does anyone know of a good cheap net source?

i don't want any fancy upgrade or anything....just need cheapest solution right now!

thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I would try to escalate this issue if I were you. Apparently the letter from Saab for the replacements does not mention "snow belt" or anything of this sort.

I think your the second person who has had this issue (denying coverage) and I think it's a load of crap :evil:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have escalated it as far as i can from here. basically, after some heated discussions they have agreed to "take a look at it, diagnose it and go from there" if i have it towed to the nearest dealer 1 1/2 hrs away.

considering the tow home (10 miles/10 minutes) was $60.00...i don't even know what the bill would be to tow it to the dealer. my gut instinct is that i get it over there and they still wont cover it for some bs reason and then i am out another towing bill to get it home plus new springs. not to mention the insane amount of time lost in this game.

i am now wishing that i had gotten the towing plan my ins offered ;)

if i had the springs here i could have them in in a half day and be done with it. i may end up calling the stealer for the springs just to see what their prices are.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep, it is a total load of crap! i am highly pissed off.

like i said before, this failure is dangerous as hell.

A: your on the interstate, the spring breaks, drops down, punctures your tire and sends you careening to your death. a blown tire has certainly done this in the past

B: your on the interstate, the spring breaks, drops down, rubs against the tire in just the right way and causes a fire. hey, it has certainly happened in the past. i am sure some of you can imagine how a fire could escalate into injury quickly.

i think now that these models are getting some years behind them that the failures will be more and more frequent. eventually someone will die and saab will find themselves with a giant boot in their arses (in the form of a CLASS ACTION lawsuit).

karma=it happens ;)

·
Registered
864 Posts
this post is worthless without a link :cheesy:
Like aerojon suggested...
$237 for Eiback set
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...ubber+Valve+Stems&partNum=7809.140&perfCode=P

eBay link for Megan springs, also available on Amazon and several other sources:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-S...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Also browse through our Classified sections.
There was a guy a while ago with Megans for sale @ $100.00
Chances are, he still have 'em.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Either way, I would save the spring and seek reimbursement that way - They are admitting to corrosion causing the breaks and they say they see it more in the salt belt so they sent us all letters. However it's still the same corrosion problem if your spring rusts and breaks in slightly more mild kentucky. I bet the only difference is that springs in KY, TN, NC and the like will break a year or so later than ours.

Oh, and definitely go to the NHTSA site and file a complaint.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Eibach springs are a bit more, but sourced out of England are still cheaper than a set of new springs for your car form the manufacturer. Be advised, replacing a single spring is not advisable- as the other springs are sagged a bit, and now a brnad new spring will sit at full height under compression, which will be hihger than the other three. Sounds like a chance to put better quality springs on your vehicle! :cheesy:

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=eibach

These give a 30mm drop, for instance.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Ok, so you don't live in the snow belt. Did you ever drive in the snow belt? If you did, and Saab can't prove that you didn't, it seems to me you should get the springs... Ron

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so you don't live in the snow belt. Did you ever drive in the snow belt? If you did, and Saab can't prove that you didn't, it seems to me you should get the springs... Ron
they told me that even if the car was previously registered in the "snow belt" that it wouldn't matter because it was registered in ky when the spring broke.

that makes about as much sense as the rest of this charade huh??

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
xp3---both of those kits are lowering kits and i do not wish to lower my vehicle.

thanks for the effort though...i do appreciate the help ;)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Megan and eibach dont lower a lot..
this is what i choose to replace my broken spring on my aero and very satisfied..

btw im going to the dealer this afternoon to complain about the broken spring that happen before i got the letter...

maybe if the change them to me I could sell mine to you..lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol, i drive a lifted land rover. when i get into the saab, i feel like i could get high centered on a dead squirrel as it is...stock ;)

plus, i don't want to have to do all 4 springs right now. i looked at the rears and they seem fine. the passenger front, however, you can clearly see where the coating has been ate away and corrosion is working its magic on this one too. right where the drivers side failed.

for those of you who have not had the failure yet, go have a look see...bottom coil!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bet the only difference is that springs in KY, TN, NC and the like will break a year or so later than ours.
i bet that is about right too...

hell, we have salt on the roads 3-4 months out of the year here in eastern ky. the cooler temps at altitude cause the roads to freeze at night when the roads are wet from rain or melting snow. hence, they keep some of the higher elevation roads salted just to try to keep school open for the kiddies. it isn't like the old days, if certain areas cant make it to school due to ice...the whole thing shuts down here ;)

edit> towing plan from farm bureau in full effect ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts