SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '88 900's front speakers are shot.

Any suggestions for routing wires to the front and rear speakers?

Also, what about accessing the front speakers for replacement. The rear are very simple.

·
Registered
510 Posts
It helps to take the screen out of the dash before you remove the speakers. As far as routing wires, fish tape and zip ties offer proper cable management

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
uberfast said:
It helps to take the screen out of the dash before you remove the speakers. As far as routing wires, fish tape and zip ties offer proper cable management
Your joking right:eek: about taking the front window out?

isnt it bonded? is it really just the seal holding it on?

The wiring should be as hidden as possible, the worst thing is wire you can see.

You dont have to take the window out to replace the speakers.

I would recommend you put some nice silk tweeters there and have a small high quality mid woofer in your door.

A better sound quality will bless your ears.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
alan forsyth said:
i'm all ears to you'r suggestions shah:D

i need a set to go with the old tweeters
:D if you can do that mate
:)
Alan i will make you a pair of silk prototype tweeters that i dont comercially sell:nono; there just to costly and time consuming to make.

I can also make you a pair match set of woofers with dope carbon fibre paper cones or a kevlar woven cone, i bought alot of parts from KEF so let me know what type of sound you like.

Making speakers is easy for me as i have 20 years of experiance, the hard part is making a housing for the Saab doors, takes ages:cry:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Are you routing the speaker wires from the head unit or an amp? Either way run them along one side of the car under the carpet and door sill. You will figure out the best way to run/hide the wires to the speakers. The best way to run them truely is...where ever you don't see the wires :D.

To access the front speakers, undo the screws which hold down the speaker/defroster plate on the dash and then carefully pull up and out....if I remember right :lol:, it's quite self expanitory once you get into it.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ShadowWorks said:
Making speakers is easy for me as i have 20 years of experiance, the hard part is making a housing for the Saab doors, takes ages:cry:
Could you show some images how you set them to the doors? i've been pondering this for ages.

Also: how do you exactly remove the front speakers? I removed all screws i could find in the dashboard, still the b*a*tard wouldn't move.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
There are 2 torx screws holding the grill, and also a couple of L-shaped clips that clip to the outer edge of the hole. Foertunately the grille is quite flexible so you should just be able to pry it up with a screwdriver, see where the clip is holding it and then angle it so that the clip is released. From memory one is on the long edge nearest the windscreen and the other is on the side edge nearest the side window.

Welcom to Saab Central :cool:

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Matthew said:
L-shaped Torx tools help when removing that dashboard grille.
alternatively, you can use a torx bit from one of those multi ended screwdrivers in a small socket on a ratchet! (i think they are 6.5mm or something like that)

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Nattefrost said:
Could you show some images how you set them to the doors? i've been pondering this for ages.

Also: how do you exactly remove the front speakers? I removed all screws i could find in the dashboard, still the b*a*tard wouldn't move.
Its just a little wood work, You take the door panels off and measure and mould a small panle to the same shape as the door cars pocket and ones its almost a perfect fit, you can trim it in leather or cloth and then screw and glue it from behind the car, the screws are only for holding it while the glue sets, i recommend a spary foam, remember less is more, the back of the panel should be drilled to provide a key for the foam , this will increase the weight of the door so make sure the speaker is as close to the hinges as possible.

The dash speakers come out easy,as everybody has said, you need the right tools.

Do you want to replace your speakers or just pull them out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you want to replace your speakers or just pull them out?
I'm going to buy caliber cce-4 to replace the old ones. Also setting some 6 X 9 to the rear.

hmm... i bet those grills would look better painted in silver.:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts