SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am new to this site, let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

I have hooked up a set of front side speaker, 5 1/4", do I need to hook up an amplifer in order to get them going:confused:

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
We're way more helpful than those snooty SS people :D "Oooh look at us, we have cars made in the current century, aren't we special". Who needs 'em. :cheesy:

Yes, as I understand it you'll need an amplifier to power the door speakers. Some cars were equipped with amps, but if they were then they also had the speakers in the door.

You can often find used saab amps on ebay. They fit behind the kick panel of the console of the passengers side. I've considered doing this myself since the wiring is apparently all there. Of course you could also buy an aftermarket amp.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Amp or crossover

You can buy an amp to do this if you want, even the Saab one at a ridiculous cost if you like.
I bought a pair of component speakers for the front. My ones come with a mid/bass speaker for the door and tweeter for the dash.
I took the front speaker feed from the stereo, into the crossover, and then fed the speakers from there.
The standard lead does the dash speakers. If you are lucky, you will find the Saab Audio 2 wiring in the panel in the passenger footwell. I can use those, otherwise you will need to run wires to the doors too.

There is a superb guide on the net and searchable on here. I think Richard Bevin is the name of the person.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I guess there is a large discrepency on whether there are wires in the car or not. People swore there would be on my car, but I was told there wasn't when I had other audio work done. So who knows.... Only one way to find out though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow thanks for all the great information.

Yes my car is from the last century. ;) Because the rear speaker went out I decided to repace them and add ffront door speaker as well. The wiring was there and they are in now but with no sound.

It seems that I will find the location for an amp behind the kick panel in the back seat. I take that to mean that it is on the drivers side below the quarter panel window (mine is a 3-door 93).

Any suggestions on a basic (read not expensive) general purpose amp?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Actually, the factory amp would live behind the kick panel in the front seat. If you're sitting in the passenger seat it would be behind the plastic piece that your left foot hits. You might take it apart and see how much room is there. Some folks have found aftermarket amps that fit that space, and the wires should be available there somewhere. Of course plenty of people do put the amp in the back too, but if you have the wires it might be simpler to go with the factory location.

You might try a forum search using the link in the bar above. Someone listed aftermarket amps that would fit a while ago.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Another place where an amp may fit is behind the glovebox on top of the HVAC vent duct. It is still only probably a 1.5" gap, but you could get a longer or wider amp in there if you had to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts