SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The drivers seat in my 1999 9-5 is still good, but is starting to look a little tired after 146K miles. Is it possible to swap the driver and passenger front seats?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
You could probably swap the seat skins; but the hole for the lumbar support will be on the wrong side.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You could probably swap the seat skins; but the hole for the lumbar support will be on the wrong side.
Do not swap the seat skins. i say this from experience. There are metal bars in pockets on the seats that have to be cut out. If you decide to just swap skins the seats will never look right and be baggy in all the wrong places.

I'd say either swap the seat pan or find some used ones from a junk yard

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Not so! Those rods do not need to be cut; both seats are held on with tension springs and retainers. You have to remove the springs and retainers and the bottom skin and cushion will come right off, the top (backrest) just slides off. I recently removed and replaced my driver’s side. The best way to do it is to remove the seat (from car) and separate the entire backrest from the seat and the rest is easy. The only reason you would remove those rods is if you want to separate the skin from the cushion; you don't need to do that to do a swap if you buy used skins make sure the bottom half has the cushion attached, which in most case it does. The front seats should be exactly the same; what makes them different is, one is on the Left, and one is on the right.

Do not swap the seat skins. i say this from experience. There are metal bars in pockets on the seats that have to be cut out. If you decide to just swap skins the seats will never look right and be baggy in all the wrong places.

I'd say either swap the seat pan or find some used ones from a junk yard

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
^^ Agreed. I was just real deep into 9-5 and og 9-3 seats (they're the same). I had a bunch of seats in various states of disrepair, ended up with a driver seat with the bottom base from a 9-5, backrest from a 9-3 vert, and skins from a 9-3 5dr (all mounted in a 89 c900 vert). Bottom skin comes off the foam if you cut 5 "hog rings". It's handy if you have the special pliers for the hog rings when you replace them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts