SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm trying to undo some work undertaken on my 1990 900 convertible by a previous owner. He installed seats from a 1992 900 because the originals were buggered. In doing this he also installed some homemade rails. I'm not sure if this was because the original rails were also buggered, or because the seats from a 1992 aren't compatible with a 1990. The ideal way forward would be for me to find original 1990 rails and seats and install them - however, it is proving pretty hard to find 1990 seats - or rails - in any condition, let alone half-decent condition (I'm in New Zealand, and there is a limited number of 900's over here). So I need to widen the net. The question is, which years are compatible, in regards to seats and rails, for the classic 900 convertible?

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Hi all, I'm trying to undo some work undertaken on my 1990 900 convertible by a previous owner. He installed seats from a 1992 900 because the originals were buggered. In doing this he also installed some homemade rails. I'm not sure if this was because the original rails were also buggered, or because the seats from a 1992 aren't compatible with a 1990. The ideal way forward would be for me to find original 1990 rails and seats and install them - however, it is proving pretty hard to find 1990 seats - or rails - in any condition, let alone half-decent condition (I'm in New Zealand, and there is a limited number of 900's over here). So I need to widen the net. The question is, which years are compatible, in regards to seats and rails, for the classic 900 convertible?

Cheers, Steve
Steve , I thought the change occured in 91 , so 92 seats would need mods ( hence the honemade rails) to fit a 90 , does your 90 year have tapped holes on the floor for seat belts on stalks , if yes then early seats . The later seats had the belt stalk attached to the Seat frame. I could probaly rustle up rails , but it couldnt be quick , And not much point without the age seat to match . Postage would be pricey , so sending seats is out of the question ( albeit I have multiple ) No great leather ones , you would still need to reskin , some reasonale material ones .
The older style Slider mechanism ran for 79 until (it seems) 91

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Les, thanks once again for your insights/wisdom. It is very much appreciated. Yes, the seat belts are on stalks and not attached to the seats, whereas the seats that have been installed in the car have a bolt hole on the side - which is presumably where the seat belts would be attached - as you have described. I am waiting to hear back from a guy in NZ regarding some 1990 rails - and possible seats too, but it doesn't sound like they are in very good condition - and uncertain, at this stage, if they will be compatible. I will certainly stay in touch if I don't get anywhere in my search over this side of the ditch. Knowing that seats and rails from the 80's are likely to be compatible helps me a lot as I can widen my search from just 1990.

Thanks again, Steve

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Hi Les, thanks once again for your insights/wisdom. It is very much appreciated. Yes, the seat belts are on stalks and not attached to the seats, whereas the seats that have been installed in the car have a bolt hole on the side - which is presumably where the seat belts would be attached - as you have described. I am waiting to hear back from a guy in NZ regarding some 1990 rails - and possible seats too, but it doesn't sound like they are in very good condition - and uncertain, at this stage, if they will be compatible. I will certainly stay in touch if I don't get anywhere in my search over this side of the ditch. Knowing that seats and rails from the 80's are likely to be compatible helps me a lot as I can widen my search from just 1990.

Thanks again, Steve
Any seat rail ( and seat) from 79 to 90 will fit your mount points . More than likely WILL :) but of course the 4 door sedan and the 5 door hatch dont have the tilting facility you need for your vert , so you are looking for 3door Hatch , 2 door sedan or of course a vert , all pre 91 . if you can find seats , albeit Shabby , new Leather skins are available if thats the level you are looking at .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts