SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 9-5 wagon, & the front end is giving me some issues. It produces a rhythmic throbbing noise beginning at 25mph & increasing what feels like bouncing at speeds over 65mph. I'm getting some unusual wear on the tire, but I know it's not out of balance, as there are no weights missing & I've had no issues until about a month ago - no changes to the tires or anything.

Could this be an indicator that the strut is completely going out, or do I have a wheel bearing problem? Any info would be appreciated, need to try to solve this myself, as finances don't necessarily support taking it to the dealership.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just had the same thing, thought it was the tire etc...

Jack up the car and grabe the top & bottom of the tire, push back& forth, there should be no play, if there is its a wheel bearing

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think I just may be experiencing the same issue. Does it feel like your car is sluggish, like there's been a lot of extra weight added? Does it feel odd at times when you turn?

·
Registered
199 Posts
If the noise gets worse as your drive faster its normally the wheel bearing.

Especially if you have had a wheel alignment recently which rules out a wonky suspension setup.

Tyres tend to make lots of noise at low speed if they have lumps and get better at higher speeds as the speed muffles the bumps a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QWICSVT said:
I think I just may be experiencing the same issue. Does it feel like your car is sluggish, like there's been a lot of extra weight added? Does it feel odd at times when you turn?
You nailed it on the head . . . . the more I think about it, it's probably the wheel bearing. It doesn't seem to enjoy a left-hand turn, come to think of it (putting the right front wheel on the outside of the turn). Thanks for the tip, Joe & Adrian, I'll jack it up & try it out.

Are there any threads with pics on replacing the wheel bearing? It's a fairly simple fix on a Jeep (done it on 3 so far), but this is my first time in a Saab.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Galen said:
You nailed it on the head . . . . the more I think about it, it's probably the wheel bearing. It doesn't seem to enjoy a left-hand turn, come to think of it (putting the right front wheel on the outside of the turn). Thanks for the tip, Joe & Adrian, I'll jack it up & try it out.

Are there any threads with pics on replacing the wheel bearing? It's a fairly simple fix on a Jeep (done it on 3 so far), but this is my first time in a Saab.
Check out this thread:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99638&highlight=bearings

·
Registered
102 Posts
pab95 said:
When I referenced this thread, it said that the wheel bearing cost just $67.00! Where can I find a wheel bearing for that? Rock Auto only sells the hub & bearing as a unit. The *** unit is $88 (anybody know anything about who *** is?) and the Timken (made in my home town) is $145.00. If *** is a good brand, I rather just swap in a complete hub assembly and be done with it. Any and all feedback would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
QWICSVT said:
When I referenced this thread, it said that the wheel bearing cost just $67.00! Where can I find a wheel bearing for that? Rock Auto only sells the hub & bearing as a unit. The *** unit is $88 (anybody know anything about who *** is?) and the Timken (made in my home town) is $145.00. If *** is a good brand, I rather just swap in a complete hub assembly and be done with it. Any and all feedback would be much appreciated.
eeuroparts.com has just the bearing for $44.90

Note that you will need a special press tool to seat the new bearing properly. I would assume that this is avoided if you install the hub & bearing as a unit.

I have the exact same symptoms with my '99 9-5, and am trying to figure out if I'm going to attempt work myself or not. My mechanic quoted around US 300 for the new wheel bearing installed, which is a fair amount of cash I would rather not have to part with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QWICSVT said:
Where is Rock Auto . . . do they accept online orders? I'd just as soon replace the entire unit & avoid the business with finding someone to press out the old bearing & press in the new one . . . especially if the entire unit is under $100. The cheapest I found the bearing was $59, but that was only checking with 5 suppliers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Galen said:
Where is Rock Auto . . . do they accept online orders? I'd just as soon replace the entire unit & avoid the business with finding someone to press out the old bearing & press in the new one . . . especially if the entire unit is under $100. The cheapest I found the bearing was $59, but that was only checking with 5 suppliers.
I just discovered the site recently through an ad in the back of Car & Driver and I'm already hooked. www.rockauto.com

·
Registered
49 Posts
QWICSVT said:
Any idea about all the specialty tools/pullers this link refers to? Even if I was to replace the entire hub assembly, it still seems like a bit of a daunting job.
From WIS, the special tools you need are:
89 96 696 Puller
89 96 704 Drift

Neither seems particularly complicated/expensive, but I've never had any luck buying Saab tools on the 'net.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Tire out of round.

Wheel bearings don't cause a "bouncing feeling" at speed, they just make ugly noises.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Could be 'worn, old' tires

Just replaced some tires that had 65K miles on them and they did pretty much what you said.

Got new tires (Nokian WR G2's) on and they are smooth, and only a balance was needed, no alignment or anything needed to be done.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
fusionrx said:
Just replaced some tires that had 65K miles on them and they did pretty much what you said.

Got new tires (Nokian WR G2's) on and they are smooth, and only a balance was needed, no alignment or anything needed to be done.
Agreed, it's not a wheel bearing.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Wheel bearing procedure

FYI: the special tools needed:

From WIS, the special tools you need are:
89 96 696 Puller
89 96 704 Drift
are used in conjunction with a bearing press or some other hydraulic press. The saab tools are the have the specific sizes to fit the races for an easy fit. I have a friend that is a mechanic that presses mine in and out for me. I took the steering knuckle off last night. He brought it in and pressed the hub in 30min. Then I refit the knuckle this evening.

Look here for my last try doing this: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110679

Also look here for wheel bearing assessment: http://www.thesaabsite.com/95/95faqs.htm#Wheel+Bearing+Noise+%28front%29

here is a picture of a shop press from here:

Step 16: Install New Bearing
You'll need to use a hydraulic press like this one to press in the bearings. You may be able to do it without a press, but this is what I used.

My buddy's press was portable (only about 100lbs) and much smaller. Still did the job though...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
SectorNine50 said:
Tire out of round.

Wheel bearings don't cause a "bouncing feeling" at speed, they just make ugly noises.
Checked this out first to see if that was the problem (definitely an easier solve), but to my chagrin, it is the front right wheel bearing. When I jacked up the front end, the right wheel had maybe 2mm of play when I shook it by the top & bottom of the tire (after checking to make sure all the lugs were tight). The left side was nice & tight with no play. So it looks like I'm off to find a good Saab mechanic that will press out the old bearing & in with the new - can't stomach the $400 or more the dealership will want for it.

Thanks for all the tips, they are going to come in handy (this is not as easy as replacing the bearings in a Jeep CJ !!). I'll take plenty of pics & post for future use.

Does anyone have any experience with Timken parts? Are they reliable, quality replacement parts? Rockauto has a Timken front end bearing for $37.79.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Galen said:
(this is not as easy as replacing the bearings in a Jeep CJ !!). I'll take plenty of pics & post for future use.
Dirty Job...:evil: Good luck keeping your Camera Clean!

Oh yeah, See if you can keep the Speed sensor bracket in place. If you try to remove it, it will break. The plastic stud that fits into the hole on the steering knucke gets fused in. I had to drill out the plastic and then gypsy rig a suitable replacement for the stud.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts