SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanted to know if i would be able to put a front mount intercooler on my 04' 9-3 aero and also if it would be worth it???

·
Registered
103 Posts
There's been a some talk of this in the past. Some people say that the FMIC would help no matter what. I think other people have said that you would need some software adjustments to get gains from it. Either way there isn't a whole lot that is available as a bolt on for the car, so you would most likely need to do a custom job. I'm sure if you search the forum for intercooler you should find everything that's been discussed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
ArizonaSaab said:
i wanted to know if i would be able to put a front mount intercooler on my 04' 9-3 aero and also if it would be worth it???
Hi

There are a few of us in SG that have installed an FMIC using a Greddy tank. Basically the original IC was removed, the AC radiator pushed back to the location of the OEM IC, some custom piping was fabricated and the Greddy tank installed in front.

The results have been positive. None of us have formally done a pre and post dyno but intake temperatures using a OBD scanner have shown a drop. So far no CEL noted in any of the cars here.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
SINGAPORE I think..........

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
FMIC is always better, air flow being the big plus, second thing being size, you can have a larger core so you have a larger heat removing surface.

I have totally chopped my front up to install a truck IC, removed the tow hooks and bumper stays, but i will be pushing the negine block to the dark side.

I dont like the Chinese IC, they just seem so tacky, but they could be great, i just dont know and there cheap so you cant lose much in finding out.

Good luck

·
Registered
267 Posts
ssRyan said:
There's been a some talk of this in the past. Some people say that the FMIC would help no matter what. I think other people have said that you would need some software adjustments to get gains from it. Either way there isn't a whole lot that is available as a bolt on for the car, so you would most likely need to do a custom job. I'm sure if you search the forum for intercooler you should find everything that's been discussed.
A bigger imtercooler with better air flow = more gooder. No reason you would need a software change to see a benefit from better charge air cooling, though it would make it more fun.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
That GReddy is priced as if it's made from platinum with diamond-encrusted hose clamps. One thing that worries me is that it's tube and fin, and not bar-and-plate, which most of the major manufacturers use. B+P is a more costly core but the heat transfer is excellent. The tapered and rounded end tanks of the Greddy unit are nicely done, so there's likely even flow across the core, which is one of the most important aspects, regardless of core design. (For more info, check out www.bellintercoolers.com, the site run by Corky Bell, the guy who literally wrote the book on turbocharging, "Maximum Boost")

If I was doing this again....

I'd find a bar-and-plate core from Spearco, Bell, or any of the other vendors. I'd figure out the largest overall size of the core, trying to keep the tube length short and the core as tall as can be. I'd use stainless steel tubing (less heat conductivity and non-corrosive) and silicone connectors (ignore the shiny stuff and find truck radiator hose).

You won't need a massive FMIC to get a benefit from the cooler charge air, and if you're not tuning your car, or upgrading your turbo, you DON'T WANT OR NEED A HUGE IC. Bigger is better, but only up to a point. Corky Bell goes into detail of this but let it suffice to say that you won't gain much benefit from a huge unit with a stock car, and in the summer, the mass of aluminum will act as a heat sink by picking up radiant heat from the roadway. You'd end up hurting performance, at least until the airflow across the IC core was able to start effectively cooling the charge air...

I picked up a bar-and-plate IC on eBay for about $300. I found 90-degree stainless elbows and silicone hose there too. It's possible to put together system for a fraction of the cost of a kit....

Here's a pic of my IC setup...

·
Registered
166 Posts
mike saunders said:
I picked up a bar-and-plate IC on eBay for about $300. I found 90-degree stainless elbows and silicone hose there too. It's possible to put together system for a fraction of the cost of a kit....

Here's a pic of my IC setup...
do you have the brand of the bar-and-plate IC that you got off from ebay? Did you have to do customised work, and how elaborate were they?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
In the photo it appears to say "Spearco" - perhaps teh brand of FMIC he got on eBay?

Just so I know - do our cars have intercoolers as standard? If so, where is it and what is the problem with it? I am familiar with the function of Charge Air Coolers and the concepts of additional cooling - I had just always assumed that the 9-3 SS had one fitted.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
It's a Spearco unit. The company still makes cores for other IC and radiator applications, but they were bought by Turbonetics a couple of years ago...

And please check me on this, but I believe the 9-3SS IC is wedged between the AC condensor and the radiator. Adam, I'm not sure there's actually an issue with that IC in stock form as the SS isn't boosting that heavily, even in Aero trim. If you're going to go with a PPC upgrade, an IC change will be beneficial.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
That's right. The stock 93SS IC is wedged between the a/c condenser and the radiator. The stock intercooler looks like a radiator. The Hirsch FMIC for one of their upgrade stages is twice the thickness of the stock. Increasing the size will definitely have its benefits however it should not be too large or the benefits will be nullified.

I believe the stock intercooler works great if you have cooler temperatures. It'll probably cool fast. However, we drive in tropical weather so it soaks up heat more quickly than it expels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts