SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered a front hydralic mount for my 92 900S hoping this would eliminate vibration in the gearstick at idle and shaking vibation at 3k RPM and above durring hard acceleration.

I ruled out CV joints since the the axel shafts were replaced about 5k miles ago.

I ordered a hydralic mount Here's a picture.

And it appears that mine is a factory solid mount, correct me if I am wrong.

It does appear to have a few stress cracks in the side but from what I can see it's not fallng appart.. Perhaps the damage is under the metal sleeve.

Would I want to use the hydralic mount and would it even be possible?

Thanks,
Greg
Saab6

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
You are wrong.

That is just a different style of engine mount but not solid. Also, the hydraulic mount when bought as a pattern part is converted to solid rubber. The original hydraulic mounts cost something like £130 from Saab but a pattern part costs only £30 and is not exactly the same as the original. What did you buy, pattern part or original?

Anyway, the mount you have is of no use as your gearbox has the wrong cover at the front. To use the mount you've just bought you would need a different cover.

Neither mount seems to be any more or less reliable than any other. The both fail - in my experience. The one you currently have on the car is usually fitted to non-turbo models and 8v cars. The hydraulic mount is more common on the T16 but you can never really gurantee what you're going to find under there as there have been many gearbox replacements over the years and that can mean you'll have a non-original front engine mount.

·
Registered
954 Posts
True that! I have a 900s with a turbo tranny and it uses the hydraulic mounts, what you have is considered a solid tranny mount. I know cause I have looked for 4 weeks trying to figure out the tranny mount bracket for the hydraulic mount. what a pain. ther person who replaced the tranny (before I had it) didnt put the bracket on. lots of problems. All the saab mechanics I talked to said the hydraulic ones for the turbo trannys are a bit smoother but not sure. great at idle though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts