SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the winter I backed over a big ice chunk at the end of the driveway and blew apart the front lip on the drivers side. So I can see the hoses and doesnt look good. For the last 6 months I was was trying to find a front lip in black but they were either already missing from parted cars or in real bad shape.

Anyways I found one that was weathered.. wrong color. The clip on the one end missing.

So i jb welded the clip from my car and it seems strong. I repaired all scratches with glazing putty to the best of my novice ability. Sanded and primed.

I still have to prep the primer by sanding but am at the painting and clearing stage.

I'm in Canada so paying for a supplier who has black - paint code 170 (aerosol) would cost me a fortune to get to me.

Canadian Tire has duplicolor paints but not for saab. But they have tons of black spray paint for numerous automotive makes. Is there another popular make like GM that uses the same black paint? Or at least very similar?
I'm a newbie at this and I'm hoping that it will be close. Right now I got a gapping hole where the piece broke off. Also its an Arc lip.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i ended up basecoating the black and then using the clearcoat. I then noticed that the clear was matte... wtf.. I went back and got the glossy. I did miss the flash period because i got stuck at bad traffic accident.. Anyways I applied the gloss clear afew times. I baked it in the sun all day.. I think too many clearcoats (around 6) it was still abit tacky. I ended up putting the lip on and its very near the original. Looks 1000 times better since i no longer have a gaping hole showing the windshield washer fluid. I did find the wiper hose to the passenger side was broken but that ok since i set the wash cycle to every 500 times with the tech2 years ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts