SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When breaking i get a knock sound from the front passenger side. It sounds like a suspension issue or a strut mount issue
Not really sure what this could be, any ideas on how to check what this could be or if its common anyone?
I would head to the dealer but they want $80 just to look for a possible problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
351 Posts
An easy way to check your struts (but not the bearing underneath)... is to remove that metal top cap which has a 27 or 28mm nut ontop of it to keep it down.... you can remove the top metal cap and check the strut from the top.... if cracks are visible and very dark.... then thats your problem... but even if it is cracked.... i'd replace the bearing aswell....)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I had a similar problem. Braking after accelerating would make a loud thunk. It turned out to be that the bolt on the trailing suspension arm that holds it to the frame was loose. As it moved, it was widening the hole and making the movement, and the sound, worse. When I tightened the bolt down really tight, the noise went away.

Good luck,
John

·
Registered
704 Posts
i have had that noise twice. the first time, my transmission mount had broken, so i got a knock whenever i shifted from drive to reverse or vice versa. the second time, i had ill-fitting brake pads, so every time i hit the brakes, there was a clunk as they seated themselves forward in the calipers.

to check the former, just wiggle the mount; it should be obvious if it's snapped. the latter, pop off the wheel and try to wiggle the pads; if they're loose, it should also be obvious.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I'm with Strowe...

Mine got bad-enough that the bushing was thrashed, and the bolt actually removed itself from the car. (I heard it bounce down the street behind my car)

It's the upward-facing bolt in the Rear of the stanchion arm.
I tightened mine with a 1/2 ratchet about as tight as I could without being afraid.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the wheel off and looked around for loose parts. I didnt find any loose parts but a mechanically minded friend of mine says my bushings might need replacing. Could these be causing the knocking noise?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
the stanchion arm bolt won't look loose... it only has to loosen about 1/2 turn to give the arm room-enough to move.

The stanchion arm is the aluminum, curved arm that goes from under the rotor, backwards to the frame. not directly in towards the motor/transmission.
follow it back, and you'll see the 13 or 15mm-headed bolt that holds it in. just give 'er a twist.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts