SaabCentral Forums banner

Do you like it?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was bored and i wanted to change up my front grill a little and wondered what you all think. im not sure if i like it or not. tell me what you think and you can be bluntly honest too.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Kinda reminds me of a Peugeot as they used similar grilles on older models where the center was chrome paint and the edges were black. Your grille the black will chip off eventually. I'm in the same boat as you. I didn't like my factory chrome, so I painted it. But now I don't like the look. Thinking of grabbing a NG900 grille and getting it professionally painted with clear coat.

Did you consider leaving the bar chrome, and blacking out the surround? That might look nice too.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had a couple thoughts. !st is what is in the picture, 2nd blacking out just the face part but leaving the parts that angle back chrome. 3rd was all back but the bar, and if that all failed, all black.

i also sanded, primed and then painted it. i would of clear coated it but i couldnt find the can that i just bought a few days ago...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also, kinda reminds me of a chrysler. im not a chrysler fan.

·
Registered
18,932 Posts
Don't like it with the bright center chrome. If you did the center in black, or gunmetal maybe, it might blend better. Also looks a little glossy, I'd go flat or satin.

MHO, YMMV.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't like it with the bright center chrome. If you did the center in black, or gunmetal maybe, it might blend better. Also looks a little glossy, I'd go flat or satin.

MHO, YMMV.
yea, the chrome kinda jumps out there. and the gloss black may have something to do with it. maybe ill resand it, and satin black everything but the center bit left chrome. maybe it wont pop as much. i do have gunmetal paint in my garage too.

i really want the look of the newer saab grill. same style but done differently.

·
Registered
18,932 Posts
The newer Saab also has other body features that work with the grill... our cars don't really have those accentuated in the same way.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
was bored and i wanted to change up my front grill a little and wondered what you all think. im not sure if i like it or not. tell me what you think and you can be bluntly honest too.
Nope, does not work for me, I think the chrome pops out too much without flowing from the rest of the car's lines.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Not a fan of that first grille. It makes the headlights look odd. Im a fan of solid colors for the chrome part.

My current grille (I have at least three to chose from at any point) is PlastiDip'ed black with mesh. I also PD'ed some of the headlights for that Eurotrash/Ricer eyebrow thing. But only a little. I also PD'ed the lower grille and the taper of the bumper to mix things up a little

·
Registered
215 Posts
Not a fan of that first grille. It makes the headlights look odd. Im a fan of solid colors for the chrome part.

My current grille (I have at least three to chose from at any point) is PlastiDip'ed black with mesh. I also PD'ed some of the headlights for that Eurotrash/Ricer eyebrow thing. But only a little. I also PD'ed the lower grille and the taper of the bumper to mix things up a little
The 9-3 in the grill is fantastic! I've been on the edge about de-badging, but you've convinced me. Sub-text there is I'm stealing your idea.

To the OP. I'm going with YAY. I wouldn't do it that way, but I like the unique look (also invest in plastidip spray. Much easier to change up later).

·
Registered
18,932 Posts

Watkins:

Can you post a photo of your car from a little bit further back?

Is that the standard black plastic dip?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
That is just regular black PD. Ive covered every bit of trim with it, PD'ed over the blue mirrors, did the grille, and a bit of interior stuff as well.

As for a picture: Ill try to remember tomorrow. In the meantime, here is the most recent I have before having painted the lower grille:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the more i look at it the more i want to change the grill again. so if i have time this weekend after the car show, ill redo it. might just paint it all black for the show and buy another from a junk yard or craigslist to change. its just too much chrome for me. im not a big chrome fan anyway. funny thing is i do like polished aluminium but it does have a different look.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I think the grills look great standard chrome.

But I like chrome everything :p

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Nope, does not work for me, I think the chrome pops out too much without flowing from the rest of the car's lines.
But the true grill-work is too busy..
I like the old Citroen; the old Studebaker; the old Cord; or the grill-less VW..
If we must have one, and they are necessary, good taste must prevail... A good design is where one cannot even see the "grill" or air intake opening.

·
Registered
18,932 Posts
I think the grills look great standard chrome.

But I like chrome everything :p
I like the standard chrome for the reason that it blends with the lights and clear corners. But, I can go with a dark gray or black, and some guys have even made body color matched look good with the right other mods.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts