SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister-in-law purchased a used 2003 Saab 9-3 a few years ago (2005 or 2006). She tells me that both the front fog lights (seem to be factory installed) and the rear defroster never worked since she's had the car. The SID shows no problems for either the defroster or the front fog lights.

My questions:

1) Rear defroster: I checked to see if there was a blown fuse. According to the manual, the rear window heater (same as defroster?) has a Relay R4 in the engine compartment fuse box. The space where that relay would go is empty. Am I confusing the rear defroster with the rear window heater? If not, should there be a relay there? If I am confusing the two, is there a different fuse that I should be checking?

2) The fog lights: I've checked the fuses for the front fog lights in the same engine compartment fuse box; both fuses are in tact. The other accessories (lights) that are associated with those fuses are fully functional. I replaced one of the fog light bulbs, but that did not fix the problem. Yes, I've explicitly pressed the front fog light button to test it out (given that they don't come on automatically or stay on through a powerdown/up cycle). The rear fog light (single) does work fine.

I welcome any tips or hints. I've already done some searching on here, but "foglights" returns 8 pages which will take a while to go through. I've read a few threads about defroster issues, but haven't reached a concluseion about the logical next steps there.

Thanks.
Ben

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and the post of the video. Sadly the suggestions in the video didn't solve the problem. I tested the front foglight button in all three switch positions with key in and out of ignition. The fog lamp indicator light on the dashboard lit up as it should (given a specific set of conditions), but the front fog lamps themselves remained dark/unlit. The SID still shows no problems.

Guess I'll keep searching before giving up and going to the local dealer.

Ben

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.