SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I need to buy some front engine mounts and was wondering if there is any difference between the £154 Genuine Saab parts and the £41 alternative ones. Obviously £41 sounds good but theres no point saving money only to find there do more damage then there worth.

Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jim - I started a thread on this recently as I will be needing to replace mine and I recall that Ejenner and others had raised the debate of solid mounts vs standard hydraulic ones. The plus being improved gear shifting the minus being cost, although I have no idea what the solid mounts cost ???(i am booked in to an independent saab garage at the end of this week for some other work and was intending to ask him)
I would be interested in which way you go on this and your eventual rationale

David

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Sat on a shelf in the garage are a pair of rear hydraulic mounts for a 900. One of these came from a Saab dealer clear out. It's a genuine Saab part with all the logo's and labels.
The other, bought to make the pair, came as an 'alternative' from a mainstream online parts dealer.
They are identical, right down to the tooling marks on the metal and mould stubs on the rubber. The only external difference is that the word SAAB has been ground off the rubber of the alternative.
There may be internal differences, but I doubt it.

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
one vendor of solid motor mounts is selling them for $90. That works out as being somewhere between the cost of genuine Saab and pattern part.

I get the impression that when you are using the traditional engine mount at the front and on both sides of the engine you are going to cause it to rock (by only supporting on three sides using flexiable mounts) the rocking is transfered to the front engine mount and dampened. At the back of the engine the gear-linkage attaches to the gear selector rod which sticks out of the back of the gearbox. Because this rod is the most solid thing at the rear of the engine (the rod itself is damped as it enters the cabin) the rocking motion is going to transfer into the rod. So imagine your driving along, you take it up to 4500 rpm and press the clutch to change gear... suddenly engine and road are no longer linked so the engine rocks forward on it's mounts, then it hits the limit of the front engine mount travel and rocks back again - this all happens while your trying to engage the next gear. As you can imagine - it's not good for any of the parts involved and means you have to change gear more carefully.

The danger of solid motor mounts is not that the cost more but that you can transfer some of the engines vibrations into the car. After reading comments about other peoples front engine mount installation I decided that I will be using a solid front engine mount in favour of hydraulic. It seems to make sense to me as I think the fact that the front engine mount is so far away from the driver that any extra vibration is lost. I'm also fairly sure the solid motor mount is slightly damped anyway, but much less damping...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went for the Alternate one from PFS about £46. Delivered next day which is good service.

If theres anyone with experience of fitting these mounts I'd be glad of some assistance fitting it at Kodak :confused:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Managed to fit the front mount at Kodak at the weekend. Thanks to the guys that mucked in and helped :p. If i ever need to do it again i'll know what to do now. Especially moving the second rad fan.

The final thing to say is what a difference its made. The car feels much tighter and the gear stick doesn't wobble :D .

Anyone who's thinking of replacing theirs it is well worth the hassel.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
To revive a really old thread.. My mechanic noted when I got my exhaust manifold gasket changed that my front engine mount was on it's way out. I'm looking into ordering a new one and had a few questions. I understand the differences between the two mounts, solid and hydraulic, but thesaabsite.com claims:

thesaabsite.com said:
NOTE: You need to check to be sure that you have solid or hydraulic mounts. Even though the vehicle information shows that you should have a certain mount (round or hydraulic) it does not mean that you will actually have those types of mounts on the car. We have seen mixes of any number of combinations. CHECK YOUR CAR by looking at your mounts prior to ordering!
And from searching I have found that people have switched between the two mounts on the same car. So, my question is, should I check to make sure which mount my 900 has and order that, or go with what ejenner says and grab the solid mount? Also, I need to make sure I'm even ordering the right part..

Eeuroparts lists two different front mounts:

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=7545668F
and
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=7545668A

And then PFS lists a round looking thing for the front engine mount:

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=105_119_303&products_id=1897

Which is which and why do all these sites conflict? One is cheaper on eeuroparts, and that round thing is even cheaper, but I want to make sure I don't have to send this stuff back.

Thanks!

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
You need to check which style you have. It will be a barrel-type or a cup-type. Barrel-type will be normally on a 900i and is a sort of cylinder shape with a bolt sticking through it. Turbo will normally have a cup-type mount where the mount is made from a metal cup filled with rubber and a stud sticking out of it.

But either can be in either car. It happens when people change gearboxes because different gearboxes have different covers on the front depending on which mount was used.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
ejenner said:
You need to check which style you have. It will be a barrel-type or a cup-type. Barrel-type will be normally on a 900i and is a sort of cylinder shape with a bolt sticking through it. Turbo will normally have a cup-type mount where the mount is made from a metal cup filled with rubber and a stud sticking out of it.
Right on. I'll have to check and make sure which I have. Probably the cup type. For the replacement, do I need to lift the engine out like with the side mounts..? Difficulty, time required? Any walk throughs? I found a lot of info on the side mounts, but hardly any on the front, and for some reason the search won't let me search for "Front engine mount" but it will let me search for "engine mount" ... :roll:

·
Registered
415 Posts
jubileejim said:
Hi All

I need to buy some front engine mounts and was wondering if there is any difference between the £154 Genuine Saab parts and the £41 alternative ones. Obviously £41 sounds good but theres no point saving money only to find there do more damage then there worth.

Jim
sell the Taliaferro Polyurethane mount (transmission) for £126. The poly engine mount is cheaper still i think. My stock rubber tranmission mount totally came apart, so it's poly for me...more expensive, but last the lifetime of the car guaranteed. Sorry...thats ELK Parts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
RobEdgar said:
sell the Taliaferro Polyurethane mount (transmission) for £126. The poly engine mount is cheaper still i think. My stock rubber tranmission mount totally came apart, so it's poly for me...more expensive, but last the lifetime of the car guaranteed. Sorry...thats
The Taliaferro mounts are for the NG900/9-3 :D

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
Basically - the process for changing is to remove all of the gubbins from the top of the mount (like the bracket, bolts ect, ect) then jack the engine up at the front, remove the old mount, slip the new mount in and tighten it all back up again.

Will probably have to remove the cooling fan as well. The screws that hold the cooling fan to the radiator can eaisly snap so soak them with WD40 prior to removal. It might help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts