SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been having a weird whine happening in the front end of my saab. The noise sounds like a UPS truck braking, like the slight whine. That's the closest thing I can relate it to.
Causes
  • During deceleration, usually around 20 mph and again at 40 mph.
  • does not increase or decrease with rpm, or speed
  • does not stop when car is coasting in neutral
  • can be heard while braking sometimes, and sometime slightly during acceleration
  • seems dependent on road, worst on smooth roads, sometimes doesn't even happen on smoother roads.
  • Whine goes away above 40 mph
-whine seems to be most prevalent around 40mph

Things I have tried to Identify the problem.
  • coasting in neutral to see if it stops. One user reported a similar problem with his transfer case, however his stopped while in neutral.
  • Turning wheel while at speed seems to have a slight effect.

I've searched through this forum and have found problems similar, but not the same; ranging from the CV to transfer-case to wheel bearing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be sure to post a video of the sound as soon as possible.

·
Super Moderator
1,914 Posts
Probably easiest and cheapest to check out the wheel bearings first. If the noise is more prevalent when turning one way or the other, that can tip you off as to what side needs attention. Turning left noise equals right wheel bearing, and vice versa.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably easiest and cheapest to check out the wheel bearings first. If the noise is more prevalent when turning one way or the other, that can tip you off as to what side needs attention. Turning left noise equals right wheel bearing, and vice versa.
That's ultimately turned out what it was. It just freaked me out because it wasn't dependent on speed, i.e. it wouldn't go up in pitch with increased speed. It also wouldn't change when I swerved the car. It turned out just to be a going wheel bearing after all. Thank you for your response.

·
Super Moderator
1,914 Posts
That's ultimately turned out what it was. It just freaked me out because it wasn't dependent on speed, i.e. it wouldn't go up in pitch with increased speed. It also wouldn't change when I swerved the car. It turned out just to be a going wheel bearing after all. Thank you for your response.
Your welcome. Glad to hear it’s fixed! (y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts