SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. First off I want to say that I've been sifting through the forums about front door speakers, and a lot of the places gave me information I needed and some I learned from. But the problem is, the speakers that are mentioned or recommended are always discontinued, etc..

So I come here to ask what's the best replacement speaker for the door.

I know the door speakers are low-pass by default. I have the 6 speaker setup, with *I think* the beefier sound system. I know I want to get the most bang for the buck (without having to also install dynomat, etc). I'd prefer to use a speaker that doesn't have any tweets on it, because those won't get used anyways. Also I would prefer the speakers be marine certified as I have a convertible and live at the beach.

These speakers are the best ones I've found for the money. What do you think of them? They are 4 ohm with 92db sensitivity. How will the bass be with these speakers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link, I took a look and the prices range from 20 bucks to 500 or so. I'm looking to stick to the cheaper side of things and getting the best quality. So out of those speakers there, what do you think is the best of them less than say 40-50 bucks?

I will give them a call also to get their insight, just want to see if someone has an opinion.

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Why not repair the original speakers? You can refoam them for around $10 - $15 and a little time. Just find the right set of 6.5" foams on ebay... Ron

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks for the link, I took a look and the prices range from 20 bucks to 500 or so. I'm looking to stick to the cheaper side of things and getting the best quality. So out of those speakers there, what do you think is the best of them less than say 40-50 bucks?

I will give them a call also to get their insight, just want to see if someone has an opinion.

I went with Sony 6.5 Components click link here . 49.90 Shipped to your door. I love 'em. Best bang for the buck. =) Reviews here. Great sound, great price. Video of speakers before I installed them here. Hope this helps you a little. It all boils down to what you want and how much you wanna spend.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since I wanted more bass for a cheap amount I ended up going with these speakers.. and let me tell you, for $20 a piece, they thump and have good range for lows and nice thumps for rock etc.. if I use the "Loud" mode on the stereo it kicks out a bit more power for lower volumes, but when I turn it up with the "Loud", these can distort easily (Maybe they're not completely broken in). Just have to play with it I guess. But like I said, for $20, you can't go wrong with these for a good stock replacement.

Installation:

I had to replace the foam that went around the speaker, which I got at a hardware store in the weather stripping section. The plastic factory speaker mount (with 3 mounting bolts), required me to cut off the plastic lips that were made specifically for the factory speaker that wasn't completely round.. after I cut that off I found out the speaker magnet was a little deeper than stock, so I had to cut off the back side of the plastic speaker mount (was this for protection of dripping water on the speaker? If so I may have to take apart again and do some kind of moisture protection for the speaker..) to get more depth with this speaker. After that I used the old factory speaker wire connections and wired them up to be used with the new speakers so I didn't have to cut the factory door wires.

It wasn't that hard to do and was very budget friendly. I recommend for a simple stock replacement speaker!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Don't waste your money. I replaced mine with expensive speakers, and didn't notice a difference. Tweak the amp instead!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Installation:

I had to replace the foam that went around the speaker, which I got at a hardware store in the weather stripping section. The plastic factory speaker mount (with 3 mounting bolts), required me to cut off the plastic lips that were made specifically for the factory speaker that wasn't completely round.. after I cut that off I found out the speaker magnet was a little deeper than stock, so I had to cut off the back side of the plastic speaker mount (was this for protection of dripping water on the speaker? If so I may have to take apart again and do some kind of moisture protection for the speaker..) to get more depth with this speaker. After that I used the old factory speaker wire connections and wired them up to be used with the new speakers so I didn't have to cut the factory door wires.

It wasn't that hard to do and was very budget friendly. I recommend for a simple stock replacement speaker!
I know this is an old post and I apologize ahead of time! But how difficult was it to cut off the plastic on the factory speaker basket? What did you use to do it?
Thanks

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
I know this is an old post and I apologize ahead of time! But how difficult was it to cut off the plastic on the factory speaker basket? What did you use to do it?
Thanks
The plastic baskets cut very easily with a Dremel tool. That's what I used to trim mine. I had to cut the backs off, and grind off a little bit of the inside to fit speakers with larger baskets. I used a cut-off wheel and a sanding drum.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks
I used a hand hack saw that allowed me to cut more precisely, the dremel tool would work too (probably better) but I didn't have one handy..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts