SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found my break disc plate very rusted and loose. It caused a lot of variations at the higher speed and while breaking. I removed it and it is Ok now Is that OK to drive without this plate? At least for a while? I have relatively new rotors and don't have any interest to take all the breaks apart. But for future how involved it is to install new one? Do you have to take disc apart? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
10,600 Posts
You do have to take the brake rotor off to install a new backing plate. It's held on by three Torx screws that are only accessible with the rotor off. The first time I took off those Torx bolts, I used a small Torx screwdriver bit and turned it with a 1/4" wrench, since that's all that would fit under the hub. I later found out that there's a large hole in the hub that's used to get to the bolts. Just jack up the front of the car so both wheels are off the ground and rotate the hub around until the large hole is over the screw you need to take out. You can easily get a bit and an extension in there and zip the screws out with an impact driver.

...and yes, it's fine to drive the car without the backing plate. Quite a few people do that after upgrading to 308mm brakes (Viggen and 9-5 Aero sized) because otherwise you have to find the discontinued larger backing plates off of a Viggen or 1999-2001 9-5.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You do have to take the brake rotor off to install a new backing plate. It's held on by three Torx screws that are only accessible with the rotor off. The first time I took off those Torx bolts, I used a small Torx screwdriver bit and turned it with a 1/4" wrench, since that's all that would fit under the hub. I later found out that there's a large hole in the hub that's used to get to the bolts. Just jack up the front of the car so both wheels are off the ground and rotate the hub around until the large hole is over the screw you need to take out. You can easily get a bit and an extension in there and zip the screws out with an impact driver.

...and yes, it's fine to drive the car without the backing plate. Quite a few people do that after upgrading to 308mm brakes (Viggen and 9-5 Aero sized) because otherwise you have to find the discontinued larger backing plates off of a Viggen or 1999-2001 9-5.
Thanks a lot Jeremy,
I was searching on internet for the ptential replacement and was not able to find any. Now I understand why.

·
Registered
19,171 Posts
I have a set of almost new stock front plates I will sell. PM me if you're interested.

I like to peen the torx head splines in using a punch and hammer. Then I put the punch in the center of the torx and whack it a few times to break the screw free. If the screws have never been out, I'll also heat them with a Mapp gas torch. Then I use the torx bit on a ratchet.

The plates tend to keep water off the disks in the rain. Some people go without like Jeremy said.

·
Registered
10,600 Posts
If you do replace the backing plates, replace the screws with hex head stainless steel versions. You can find ones that are the right size at any hardware store. They're M6x1.0, but I can't remember the proper length off the top of my head.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
If you do replace the backing plates, replace the screws with hex head stainless steel versions. You can find ones that are the right size at any hardware store. They're M6x1.0, but I can't remember the proper length off the top of my head.
Length is 8mm , but 10 would also work

·
Registered
19,171 Posts
Yeah, 10mm is what you'll find in the USA at the hardware store. A little anti-seize is good too. Then they always come off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts