SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my aero in august, and one of the things ppl like about it the sound system, thats why most the time they are blasting the stereo to the max; including the bass. (i'm probably lost most of my hearing already)

Now i have noticed that front central speaker is making a pitching/rumbling noice(very unpleasant), so i switched to the rear speaker, now one them making the same thing.

now, i wanted to ask you guys, how hard it to replace fron central speaker?
do i have to rip out entire dash, or there is easier way.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any one got any ideas, i know there are few ppl on this forum that are knowledgeable about saab audio system;
can u help me out

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Paging Stipud...

Search for posts by Stipud. He has done extensive radio work on his 9-5.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
The center speaker is a breeze to replace. The grille pops right out of the dash, and there are two screws holding the speaker in. Unclip it on the back, clip in the new one, and you're good to go. In the meantime, you can just disconnect the broken speaker to avoid any fart sounds. The center channel does produce the majority of the treble in the AS2 and AS3 systems, so you might find it sounds a bit muddy without it.

A recommendation -- the bass and treble knobs on your headunit are not volume controls. They are "boost" circuits, which artificially raise the volume of a certain frequency. These artificial boost circuits are usually very bad for audio equipment, but unfortunately they are something that the consumer demands, so it will always be there.

For every 3 decibels gain, you are asking the amplifier to put out double the power. If you have the volume all the way up, the amplifier will be putting out all the power that it can. However, if you then raise the boost, you will be asking the amplifier to produce more power than it is capable of, so it will "clip" the signal. Clipping is extremely damaging to speakers and amplifiers, and is likely the reason that your speaker has failed.

Bass boost can still be used if only in moderation. Music is not usually recorded to be using 100% of the amplifiers power at any point... e.g. a song may have a very weak bass recording, and you can add a bit more by turning up the bass. Of course you would then have to turn it down to 0 again, if you were to play something with a lot of bass like Rap music.

A better solution to boosting a signal is turning it down. If you lower the volume of a signal, you will not risk damaging your amplifier, and you can do it without creating fake notes as well. For example, if you want to turn up your bass and treble, you wouldn't boost these frequencies... instead, you would reduce your midrange, and increase the overall volume. This is by far a much safer practice, but unfortunately we don't have that option in our headunits.

I have found that even with the stock deck and amplifier, you can clip music simply by turning up the volume too far. In fact, I have found that the source starts to clip at about 75% volume or so (at least in my AS2 setup). If you are stressing out your stereo, you can hear it as audible distortion. The music just becomes less clean, and more loud and painful. Because of this I also recommend that you listen for stress signs when turning up your stereo... if it's too loud, roll it a click or two back, and enjoy your music undistorted... it will be far less fatiguing on the ears, and on your stereo equipment.

http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thats more than i expected, thank you
another question tho,
where can i get the speakers =)
i found some auctions on ebay, geniune saab parts; are there any speakers on the market that can be used as substitute ?

and are all three front speakers the same ?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Ebay would be the easiest for a stock replacement, or check your local junkyards.

I have tried finding a suitable replacement for the center channel, but all of the aftermarket speakers I have tried in that location have been really really painfully bright. Check somewhere like www.partsexpress.com to see what's out there though... you may find something you like.

For example, this is probably very close to stock, though you may have to fiddle with the mounting a bit:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=270-032

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh, so tech specifics wise they are the same
good, i;m gonna go searching now =)
thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Anyone tried an aftermarket speaker yet?

So, has anyone tried an aftermarket variety center dash speaker with good results, matching the OEM performance? I looked at eBay and found a used OEM piece, but the idea of replacing it with a new speaker (that's not $100+ like the factory piece) is appealing.

I looked at Stipud's recommendation at partsexpress.com, but I would like to know if anyone has first-hand experience w/ a particular aftermarket model?

Thanks,
Nicholas Bryant
2000 9-5 Aero

1 - 8 of 8 Posts