SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 900s 2.3 manual with about 170-kmiles
My left front brake caliper is rubbing/scraping on the inside of the rim when braking.

In trying to explain the problem to you guys, I think I figured it out. I believe that the rubber bushings on the caliper have become weak. That is allowing the caliper to rotate with the rotor. I just compared the two sides and the left side allows much easier travel than the right. Wow, if it is only that simple. Anyone else every had that problem?

Thanks for any insights.
john.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just had the same issue after trying to put on my one year old snow tire steel rims. They fit last year without issue but now the right side caliper rubbed on the inside of the steelies. Now Im regreting downsizing to a 15 inch rim for snow tires on my 95 vert.. I think it is due to the fact I have brand new rotors and pads installed pushing the caliper outboard to its max...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try to explain what I am seeing (and I hope I am right since I just ordered $700.00 worth of performance brakes, calipers and rotors). The caliper is actually two assemblies. The first is hard bolted to the other is loosly mounted to the first. The second has to have some freedom to account for pad wear. On other cars that I have worked on, the moving part of the caliper is only allowed to move in and out along some type of pin. The Saab has this pin but it allows the caliper to twist. It so happens that this twist is forward, outboard and that is the place where the caliper is striking the rim. The right side does not twist nearly as much. There are rubber bushings along the pin that appear to resist (or in my case allow) the twist.

I would love to tear my rotors apart and see what has happened. But the place I am getting the parts from were specific in saying that I would not get the core deposit back if they were disassembled. I am not $80.00 curious. The proof will be after I get it all back together. In truth the calipers are only $55.00-ea plus shipping, but I couldn't resist the hot rod brakes. After all I am going through my third childhood!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts