SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front brakes were needed, so i start my project saturday morning. Started to use one of those universal sockets that are supposed to be able to take off any bolt...get three out of the four caliper bolts out before stripping the socket. Had to go to work so I couldn't get back to it until Sunday. Borrowed an air chisel from a friend to get the last bolt off because nothing was taking it off. Completely destroyed the bolt using the air chisel and a torch to get the bolt off. Finally get it off and im ready to run to the shop to get my rotors cut and they are booked up until the morning. Get the rotors cut first thing in the morning and go to fastenal and buy new hex bolts to replace all of the torx bolts because I am fed up with them and trying to get a socket to fit them, tried sears, autozone, pep boys to no avail....so then put it all back together to make it work monday at noon...

What i thought was going to be an nice little Saturday project turned into a pain in the *** and i used anti seaze instead of loc-tite on the bolts so it will be easier to do next time...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
well, i know sometimes it can be a pain, BUT...

Nothing beats the right tool for the job. Those universal sockets are garbage, and i would never use them.

DID YOU SAY YOU PUT ANTI-SEIZE ON THE BOLTS! :nono; If i were you, i would IMMEDIATLY take them out, buy new bolts (the proper bolts, probably grade 8s), use blue loctite, and torque it down to the proper spec. Those bolts hold the BRAKES TO YOUR CAR. I think it is a E20 or E24 for the socket size. Order it online for $8

I cannot stress how important it is to get these correct. But its your car, and you are willing to take the chance, then go ahead.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Another example to have a professional work on our European cars. You've spent $15,000; $20,000, or $30,000 on a car. Find a good mechanic and have them mess with it.
The self gratifying stuff of "working on my own car stuff" is garbage IMHO:p It's not worth the frustration or anxiety.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes get the right tools for the job!!! I agree, blue loctite on the threads, not anti-sieze. Save that for the wheel lugs. Use proper torque specs on all bolts too.

I don't agree with "professional" work on our cars...I've been a professional in the auto repair biz (past life)...it's not as professional as you might believe. That's why websites like these flourish, and we're here to help you if you consult us before you start such a job.

Don't be a checkbook mechanic!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've had too many "professionals" screw things up, and take advantage of my not being familiar with exactly how things work in the past. I know my limitations, but doing things yourself with good instructions (Which abound places like this, autozone (sort of), or good books) lets you know things are actually done correctly with good care, and you can't help but become more informed for when you do have to take it somewhere else.
Just my .02

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that I should have gotten the right tools for the job. But even if i did get the right torx socket, there was no way that bolt was coming out.

On a different note, after thinking about it and reading everyone's comments so far, I did take out the bolts and put loc-tite on them...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts