SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Would any happen to know of any accessories to provide downforce in the front? This is for the '08 9-3 sedan

Registered
Idk if this is much help, but if you have an instagram, check out @eyadtootall he has a sick 9-3 and does custom aerodynamic parts like diffusers, side skirts, and front lips. Hope this helps! 馃榾

Registered
Autobahn?
Otherwise why the need for more downforce in the front. I have had all my 9-3s up to around 100 here in the US and never felt any lift

Registered
I wouldn't have thought downforce in the front would be a big issue. At speed, usually it's the back end that tends to lift on most cars.

The little roof vortex generators can help a bit with rear downforce by delaying the flow separation. Might slightly improve mileage, too.

If you need/want more downforce overall for traction and racing, well, that's a whole 'nother ball o' wax.

Registered
Aero, and lift was actually something I was thinking about the other day, although for different reasons. I was thinking about some tasteful (this part is key) mods to help with engine bay airflow since the 2.8 runs so hot.

I was thinking about hood mods, and possibly tweaking the fog light surrounds, but it got me thinking about the impact of additional under car airflow, and reduced stability. Granted... probably not much impact below 100, but every now, and then when the opportunity to track my car arises, I don't want to find out my "improvements" weren't. :cheesy:

Registered
Aero, and lift was actually something I was thinking about the other day, although for different reasons. I was thinking about some tasteful (this part is key) mods to help with engine bay airflow since the 2.8 runs so hot.

I was thinking about hood mods, and possibly tweaking the fog light surrounds, but it got me thinking about the impact of additional under car airflow, and reduced stability. Granted... probably not much impact below 100, but every now, and then when the opportunity to track my car arises, I don't want to find out my "improvements" weren't. :cheesy:

Do some searches both in SAABCentral and overall. I think there is a lot written that hood scoops and the like actually do not help improve air flow in the engine bay but hurt it. I would think SAAB engineers were well aware of the heat issue and did what they could to maximize cooling.

While moving I have never had the 2.8L overheat and when I get home after a hot run I immediately open the hood in the garage to bleed off heat as quickly as possibly. Doe sit help? Dunno, but it makes me feel better ;)

Registered
I'm with you on only requiring the cooling once you stop moving, but slow moving traffic isn't great either. I have a D088 radiator, and after installing that monstrosity I don't think you could ever overheat this car, BUT all the plastic under the hood, and the batter say otherwise.

That would be the main driver for some sort of hood based allowance for cooling, heat does rise after all. Some understated hood louvers could be appreciated I think.

Registered
I wouldn't have thought downforce in the front would be a big issue. At speed, usually it's the back end that tends to lift on most cars.

exactly. A 2 inch lip on the edge of the rear trunk lid will help , actually a 6 inch blade is ideal for max downforce but a two inch lip is good enough, you can adapt an ebay stick on lip easily enough; just separate the air. The votex generators are a waste of time imho. The fact is downforce can be improved at the front by venting the hood, a couple of 5 x 10 inch holes each side of the hood along the fender line and inwards, starting about 6 inches forward of the rear hood edge. But cutting the hood of a saab is probably not worth the effort, there are structural braces get in the way....

Registered
I'm with you on only requiring the cooling once you stop moving, but slow moving traffic isn't great either. I have a D088 radiator, and after installing that monstrosity I don't think you could ever overheat this car, BUT all the plastic under the hood, and the batter say otherwise.

That would be the main driver for some sort of hood based allowance for cooling, heat does rise after all. Some understated hood louvers could be appreciated I think.
Pretty much this... There is no low pressure zone over the hoods of our car so hood scoops would serve almost no purpose while vents would only help for heat soak.

I have a '04 9-5 Aero and I'll make the D088 radiator jump when I come home stateside from deployment. I hear nothing but good things about them

Registered
Pretty much this... There is no low pressure zone over the hoods of our car
This is false. Really, how the heck do you think the intake plenum for the HVAC at the base of the windshield works??? Or a '60's tri power ram air hood?

The issue is air into the front of the car via the front fascia grilles through the radiator; the air management has it exhausting the engine compartment down and underneath and along the sides of the transmission and engine in the car. Not the most efficient, but its a production car. To exhaust that air vents either side of the hood help; but if you go too close to the base of the windshield you run into (imagine) air trying to enter the hood... that's why the folklore/ricer deal of removing the rear hood seal on the hood to "allow air to escape" is such a silly idea.

Try google:

Pay attention to the separation visibly at the scuttle on the MB and the GT40. You can see the turbulence there, its not as clear as it could be if there was intent to show that. I have spent a whole bunch of time in the windtunnel, and have videos of my own that show the issues more clearly, but I don't post them on line.
This U tube video will have to do

1 - 10 of 10 Posts