SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*NEWBIE ALERT*

hello everyone. i just purchased my first SAAB!!! wanted a 9-3 but ended up with a 900se convertible. gonna pick her up this friday. i think a got a great deal on the car, $6000. how does the price seem to you all?

i'm kinda like a fish in a new pond. i've owned 4 BMW's and just moved back up north from FL. RWD....not fun in the snow. i'm very very new to Saabs and don't know much about them. any and all advice will be appreciated.

now.....THE GOOD STUFF!!!! what is the first mod i should do or is there a "know problem/issue" that i should take care of right out of the gate? (e36 BMW's had bad water pump impellers for example.)

Attachments

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Nice. The biggest fault with the cars is the pixels on the SID unit tend to fail - the little computer screen in the middle of the dash.

So you don't have much to worry!

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Welcome to Saab Central comrade1!

Nice looking ride you have there ... don't worry about not getting a 9-3 ... the NG900 is better anyway!;) :cheesy:

Have a look around ... let us know if there is anything we can get you.

·
Registered
815 Posts
$6,000 for a NG 900 Convertible :cry:

Sometimes I really hate living in Australia. With that trim level and in really good condition, that's about a $20,000 car here. Even with exchange rates, you guys are so far ahead it's not funny.

Well done and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Swade said:
$6,000 for a NG 900 Convertible :cry:

Sometimes I really hate living in Australia. With that trim level and in really good condition, that's about a $20,000 car here. Even with exchange rates, you guys are so far ahead it's not funny.

Well done and enjoy.
True, if by far ahead you mean in depreciation....:evil:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
stromer said:
how bouts the DI casette?
DI's also go on turbo models.

·
Registered
815 Posts
stromer said:
True, if by far ahead you mean in depreciation....:evil:
Depreciation's a bigger issue if you're buying new (Which I don't think I'll ever be able to do here in Oz).

An example of that I was saying. Here's a 900 Convertible for sale in Sydney. 1998 Model. Only...........$34,000.

At $6K US, that sounds like a pretty good buy to me.

New base model 9-3 Conv's go for $66,000 plus delivery and ORC here in Oz. An Aero is around $85K. That's a lot of clams. :cry:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WELL NOT A GOOD START!!!!!!!!!!!!!

someone on another forum said......
Check the top idler pulley-these go bad after a while and have been known to "liberate".
well, i think this is exactly what happened. 20 miles after leaving the dealer!!!! had to leave the car there cause they couldn't get the part till monday. ended up renting a car and driving back home to IN from PA. dad is driving back up to PA to get the car.
NOT A GOOD START TO MOVING AWAY FROM BMW's. dealer did offer to pay all of my out of pocket expenses.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Other issues on the NG900 / 9-3 are that several of the serpentine belt pulleys are apt to go bad after about 40- 50K miles. The pulleys themselves are rather inexpensive - around $30 - $40. However, if the pulley goes bad, the failure mode is that the belt is typically chewed up. The belt is about $100 or so. This results in a repair cost of several hundred dollars. I keep a spare pair of pulleys at all times. Normally you will have a day or two notice before the pulley gives way completely and seizes up. You will normally hear a roaring / bad bearing sound that warns you of the impending failure.

Also, the fuel pump can go around the 100K mark. To prolong the life on of the fuel pump, never let your gas tank go below the 1/8 tank mark. The cost of replacement of the fuel pump at a dealer is about $800 or so. You might be able to knock off one or two hundred at an independent. The pump itself is very expensive and replacement requires dropping the fuel tank. Not pleasant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts