SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am surprised you don't have a "Buying Guide" for the 9-3 in the stickies, but I suppose we don't either in the 9-5 section.

Anyway, a buddy of mine wants to sell his Civic and UPGRADE to a Saab. I told him I would be glad to help out. He loves my 9-5 Aero and was looking into a few options. One of them is this.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/1671003498.html

This one is a 9-3 Linear. I don't know a huge amount on the 9-3's at all, mostly about the 9-5. The most I know about the 2.0 motors is what I have in my 9000, and they looked quite different. He has his eye on this 9-3 and a 9-5 Aero that's a bit more expensive. He says he likes the more rounded look of the 9-3 better, so he is leaning more toward this one.

I was just wondering, what can you tell me about this car? I did a quick search of the forums here and couldn't find much. I know the early 9-5's have their ACC issues and their sludge issues, but do the 9-3's have anything I should worry about? We actually took it for a test drive (I drove) and it shifted rather smoothly, and it rode pretty well. I didn't notice anything wrong at all. There is no rust, leather looks to be in good shape, paint in good shape, accelerated smoothly, everything works, and comes with a roof rack. The guy did say that he got the oil changed at the dealership, which uses Mobile 1 Synthetic. Everything else looked to be fine.

What do you guys think? I have a history report which shows a few things. I can email that out if anyone wants to see it. It shows some things concerning heat and interior trim. Nothing major.

Thank you for your time =]

·
Registered
108 Posts
As a first time Saaber with a 05 9-3, I can only tell you a little about the issues that I've had with mine.

First one is that both front springs broke on mine. This is a known issue with 03-06 cars and is covered under extended warranty on the springs, which is 10 years or 120k miles, I believe. They will not replace them until or if they break, but it is a good idea to keep an eye on, as many people have had this issue. Definitely keep an eye on it if you live in the snowbelt.

I do have a little bit of an issue with some of the plastic coating peeling in the interior, its only in two spots that aren't very noticable. There are many DIY threads here on how to fix this. Just try the search button.

Amp 1 under the seat tends to crap itself pretty often on these cars. It is a good idea to remove the seat and clean it up as good as possible. Water tends to get under there and cause corrosion on it. A little preventative maintenance should probably stop this from happening, however.

Another thing is if he wants to change the factory HU, its pretty much not going to happen unless he is a wiz with that kind of stuff or wants to pay a shop a boatload of money. There are also many threads on this.

There are a few other things to look for, but any issues that anyone might have can almost always be fixed with a little mechanical know-how and the help of the nice people on here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts