SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, I would like to say that I am new to Saabs and this forum, therefore, I apologize if I sound a little unknowledgeable and if I put this thread in the wrong location. So my problem is that I was using my combi adapter to flash my T5 ECU with a bench power supply. I followed the T5 documentation power pinout and had like 10 alligator clips going into the ECU and long story short the ECU short-circuited or something and proceeded to start smoking and now continues to whenever I try to hook it up to power. My ECU appears to be in good condition other than the burnt part. Am I able to replace the burnt-out piece on the board if so what is it called and how do I find such a piece. If not, what is required to marry/install a new ECU into my '99 9-3.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ooof that doesn't sound great! Assuming the capacitor is what is smoking (the big circular red thing): Capacitors are cheap and easy to replace (assuming you have a soldering iron). However, I'd be worried that something else is fried as well, just didn't smoke.

When did it start smoking? Could you walk us through the steps you took? Did you attach all the wires then apply power? Could the alligator clips have touched another contact? Are you 100% sure you connected to the right pins? If not, which pins could've been incorrectly connected too?

I can take one of my ECU's apart and see what that cap is connected too, maybe it'll provide some insight to what happened.

In the future, I'd recommend soldering on some wires so you don't have to used alligator clips. I can upload a picture of my setup.

Trionictuning.com is also a great resource, though I've found there are a lot more people using T7 rather than T5.

Once you figure it out, Trionic tuning is a blast!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, thank you for your quick response. Second, I also believe it is that capacitor. As for if anything else is damaged I am not sure, however, I was able to read the ECU before I realized it was smoking. As for the steps that I took, I connected my combi to my computer, then to the ECU, then I connected the alligator clips to the power supply and ECU, and then after turning on the power supply it began smoking at 1 amp and 3v so I believe the clips touched each other but I do not believe they were incorrectly connected.I would GREATLY appreciate if you could take one apart one of yours and show me you're set because I see in hindsight how bad of an idea the clips were. As for Trionic, I started an identical thread on there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Huh this is kinda confusing. Ok, so for clarity, what voltage where you powering the board with? Not just 3V right?

No problem opening up the ECU btw. My glovebox is out (as usual haha) as I am fixing my wideband O2 sensor. I checked it out with the multimeter, the capacitor is apparently just connected to ground and positive 12v. So it is very odd that your cap is smoking.

As for my wiring: The trionic manual is a little confusing when it comes to connecting the right wires where. It uses this picture:

This is an oversimplification imo. Instead, consider:

ground pin 24, 25 (shorted in ECU PCB)
12-15V supply pin 1, 48 (shorted in ECU PCB)
12-15V switched (ignition) pin 60
programming voltage. pin 65

For normal use, the car's wiring harness delivers ground, supply, and switched supply and programming voltage is left floating.

For bench programming, a power supply delivers ground, and +15v. You need to connect +15v to supply, switched supply, and programming voltage.

For in car CANBUS programming (not necessary, but its a real nice feature), the wiring harness delivers ground, supply, and switched supply. A power supply delivers +15v to programming voltage with reference to the car ground.

So, a long winded explanation, but hopefully you will understand why I made my setup the way it is.

My setup:

Not a very good pic, but I will explain it. I soldered onto the bottom of the board. Use a multi meter to check which pin in the connector connects to which soldering location. Use the iron to melt away the coating which acts as an insulator.

Ok, so the red and black wires first: black wires (both big and small) connect to ground. Red wire connects to programming voltage. This way, I can have the ecu plugged into the car, supply 15v to the programming voltage pin, and to CANBUS programming.

Black, orange, yellow braided wires. Again, black = ground. Yellow and orange go to CANBUS high and low (not sure which goes to which, but ya get the idea), ECU pins 62 and 63.

White wires: I have three white wires, going to supply, switched supply, and programming voltage. When bench programming, I short these three wires with solder and apply voltage to the big black and red wires. Bench flashing is rare, soldering the wires together each time isn't so bad.

If you don't get it figured out, I can probably sell you one. No marry required as it is T5, just reprogram with your stock binary and you are set.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for your very helpful in depth response. As for the voltage I was using, I was planning on using 15 and while in the process of turning it up it started smoking. Most likely the lead touched or something but I will change my set up to prevent that in the future. As for the fried ecu, I have bought a new one from a local person.

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
I was going to say that a used T5 ECU probably isn't very expensive, and they don't need to be married to the car, unlike the T7 versions. I had bought one years ago when I sent one out to be flashed, but still wanted to drive my car.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was going to say that a used T5 ECU probably isn't very expensive, and they don't need to be married to the car, unlike the T7 versions. I had bought one years ago when I sent one out to be flashed, but still wanted to drive my car.
I have a number of them I have accumulated over the years. $50 +/- seems to be a common price.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Are you using a T5 connector to the ECU or clipping to the board? If you need an ECU connector, I have one with a foot of wire(s) on it I don't plan to use at this point. I'll sell it to you inexpensively. PM me if you're interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts