SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been lurking here on Saab Central for about a year now. I joined shortly after buying my 02 Viggen. I have not done much with the car other than drive it.

During an oil change about a month ago I decided to pull the pan for the first time. Was doing a sludge check. pan looked ok when I first dropped it

screen looked good;ol;

oh-oh. small bearing bits... some copper flakes too

cleaned up the pan and put it all back together

drove the car for another couple of weeks while I hunted for a low mileage replacement.... ended up pulling the trigger on this from Kyle at Goldwing:
12k mile B235R from an 08 9-5!

Since this is my daily driver - I could not afford the down time while I fixed my engine (needs bottom end bearings, timing kit and oil pump would be prudent as well) I just needed to do a quick swap and get my car back on the road. The New engine from Goldwing came with a turbo, DIC and Cobra Pipe - nice touch!

made a ghetto engine support brace

lots of steps inbetween that I did not bother to take pics of and the old engine finally came out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
after swapping over the viggen valve cover and a bunch of little stuff, new Thermostat, temp sensor, removing the air pump,new clutch and slave, main seal, all new silicone VAC lines - the new (12K miles) engine ready to go in:

Wife helping line things up as I work the hoist:

The new engine feels great - nice and smooth. healthy turbo feels so much better too.

have a leaking brake booster now, I was hoping that new check valves would fix it but it is the booster itself. Gonna pull it soon to be rebuilt. Found a place in Texas that we re manufacture them 140 bucks!

If anyone is interested in a quite salvageable 115k mile longblock let me know - needs new std size bearings, crank and block are perfect. Leakdown tests prove that the upper end is quite healthy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pm me goldwing info-pricing if you dont mind, my viggen lifters wont come up
I think my deal with Goldwing was "fair" but not a steal by any means. I paid 2900 shipped to me at my house - that included the turbo, DIC, cobra pipe and MAF. I am ok with it for such an increadibly low mileage engine with only 12K miles on it - it might have had two oil changes tops..

i am happy with it.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Looks like your doing a good job. The new motor looks nice.

Wife's are good for holding stuff. Mine always complains that I give her the sh!t jobs. But I say that "you can't start at the top straight away, you need to work your way up". She still complains. I call her my "first year apprentice", she hates that.

I'd better go, I can hear her coming :lol:.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts