SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There's more 9-5 pics to be had. They've been released for the press days at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

The pics are here at the blog

The writeup on the 9-5 design is here on the blog.

The Saab highlights as per GM's press release are reproduced below.

--------------------------

Saab's most extensive model development program continues with the unveiling of its new 9-5 range and the launch of enhanced top-of-the-line Aero variants for its 9-3 Sport Sedan, SportCombi and Convertible models.

World Premiere for new Saab 9-5

Saab's premium sedan and wagon range receives new-look styling inside and out, together with powertrain and chassis upgrades, to further enhance its appeal for discerning buyers. Main features include:

• Dramatic new 'face' derived from Saab 9X concept car, sharper rear end styling, redesigned dashboard and instrument displays

• Introduction of new 150 bhp 1.9TiD engine, 180 bhp BioPower 2.0 turbo and 260 bhp 2.3 turbo for Aero flagship

• Sportier chassis dynamics through re-tuned suspension and steering to give improved responses and greater body control without sacrificing high levels of ride comfort

New Aero variants for Saab 9-3 range

The introduction of a new 250 bhp, 2.8V6 Turbo engine, exclusive to Aero variants across the range, combines six cylinder refinement with improved performance. Main features include:

• First six cylinder engine purpose-built for Saab's turbocharged application. Twin sports exhaust for distinctive aural character. Choice of six-speed manual or automatic transmissions

• New Saab 9-3 Aero Sport Sedan becomes fastest-accelerating Saab ever. Zero to 100 kph in just 6.7 seconds and 80-120 kph in fifth gear in 7.9 seconds

• Wider engine choice: 210 bhp, 2.0-liter four cylinder turbo now available in Linear, Arc and Vector forms. 230 bhp version of 2.8V6 turbo also offered in Arc and Vector

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
The chrome around the 9-5's headlights looks too big and accentuated on a dark colored vehicle. On the lighter vehicles it isn't so noticeable. Also, the lighting inside may magnify the effect of the chrome. If the vehicle were outside in stronger lighting, the chrome's effect may be reduced. It's hard to be certain without seeing it in person outdoors.

The taillights on the 9-5 are growing on me. The rear of the vehicle - especially in black - has a much more upscale, refined look about it. I'm getting a much more streamlined, less cluttered, feel about the rear of the car from the current iteration.

BTW: Look at the rear of the new S-Class Mercedes, which is also reported on by Autoweek. UGHHHHHHHHHLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYY. The rear end looks quite evocative of the Bangle rear end on the 7-series Bimmer. It even has a very slight resemblence to the old bustle-back Cadillac Seville from the early '80's or the rear of the Chrysler Imperial of the same time.

BTW 2: The Caddy BLS is looking pretty nice. The interior is quite handsome. I'm sure sales will be slow-going as Cadillac builds presence in Europe, but it's certainly no dog.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Rob in Atlanta said:
The chrome around the 9-5's headlights looks too big and accentuated on a dark colored vehicle. On the lighter vehicles it isn't so noticeable.
I agree - if I was to buy this car I would probably choose a silver metallic for a more coherent look.

·
Registered
198 Posts
New 9-5

I must admit, I was skeptical at first when I saw it, but it is starting to grow on me now. I thought about GM and chevey malibu parts on this car but I cant see why GM would want to do this. Even Audi uses VW parts on it's cars as well Toyota on Lexus's so it isn't just GM doing this, Car and Driver Magazine (latest issue). I wonder if this car is going to be made in Sweden or Germany. I have not heard either country at this point.:cool:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've just received a great link to a slideshow showing the whole Saab display at the FMS. Looks really good.

Click here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the pics, Blacksaab - they are great.

I was a bit skeptical regarding the new 9-5 look, but it is growing on me and looks better from those pics.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yes, thanks to both Swade and BlackSaab for the great photos. It's nice to see some non-press shots and detail shots of the controls and gauges in action.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Yes, three cheers to them for keeping us updated ! :D

saabfan said:
Yes, thanks to both Swade and BlackSaab for the great photos. It's nice to see some non-press shots and detail shots of the controls and gauges in action.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Great pics. I've just realized that the new grille is integrated into the headlight housings. Interesting design, but I'm not sure if I like it. The car now looks more round and closely resembles the 9-3SS both exterior and interior.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Great pics.

Good News: 9-3 SportCombi is beautiful. Saab got this really right.

Bad News: The new 9-5 front end is a mess. I'm sorry, it looks awful. I'd much rather have the 2005 Aero front end. The headlight bezels look weird, and the front end looks angry and "tacked on" to the rest of the body. Interior changes amount to really nothing either. New radio looks like a cheaper GM car, and the new chrome Aero steering wheel just doesn't go with the rest of the car. Looks like a bad patch job. Rear is fine, but very conservative/dated. How about some LED lights at this price level???? Overall, love the 9-3 and disappointed with the new 9-5.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts