SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

My '01 straight stock auto 2.3 lpt has a TD04 turbo waiting to go in and I was hoping for some advice. I know that the ideal option is to go to one of the top tuners (BSR, Nordic, Maptun) and they will make sure that the ecu upgrade is perfect for this, but have a question; I came across a second hand "2001 Aero Speedparts Stage 3 ecu" for $175. Does anyone know if this can be married to my car (assuming access to a TechII) along with the TD04 and if so, what other mods would be necessary to a standard 2.3lpt for the Aero Stage 3?:confused:

Thanks for any input.
Rob

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
An aero delivery pipe would be a good idea, other than that and the turbo I think the hardware is all the same. :confused:

It'd probably work, but if you don't want it I'll gladly buy it. :cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Ok, according to www.speedparts.se

The Aero stage 3 has:

JR Sports air filter
2.5" exhaust (cat back)
3" down pipe and Sports cat
Larger intake pipe

Plus its on the Aero engine however that is different??

So the stock cat back exhaust is probably ok, air filter is probably ok, but you would need the 3" down pipe and sports cat I guess........

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you guys think that it could be married with a TechII? I did not know if Speedparts somehow prevented you from being able to swap the ecu from one car to another.
Chris, what are the primary differences b/t the standard 2.3lpt engine and the Aero that might present a problem?
I guess I better find out if the ecu is for an auto or a manual as well. I assume there is a difference - am I correct?
Thanks

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Definitely can be married :cool:

The map for the auto and manual is indeed different ;)

I dont know about the engine interals, sorry :cry:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
The aero connecting rods are tougher, but the rod to stroke ratio and compression ratio should be the same.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Definitely can be married :cool:

The map for the auto and manual is indeed different ;)

Chris,
No worries - you have been a big help. I have already requested whether the Aero was auto or manual.

So if it came from an auto, it sounds as though I can get it to work with the following at a minimum:
- Install the Aero TD04 turbo
- Install and marry the Stage 3 Aero ecu
- Install a 3" downpipe and racecat
Does that sound correct?
What type of specs do you guys reckon she would deliver at this stage?

Follow that with upgraded springs and shocks, 17" wheels and better brakes, an uprated Delivery pipe and either the JR drop in filter or open air intake (for the sound).

You think the non-Aero exhaust would be adequate for this Stage?
Thanks again,
Rob

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Raven18940 said:
The aero connecting rods are tougher, but the rod to stroke ratio and compression ratio should be the same.
Raven,

Good to know, thanks. At what level of HP/torque do the top tuners recommed upgrading the connecting rods on a standard 2.3lpt. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
A sport cat was stated by speedparts, the race cat is better but more expensive :cry:

The speedparts stage 4 on the 2.3 (185bhp) car gives 288 bhp, almost the same as the aero stage 3 you mention, so the engine should be able to take it :confused:

My weedy 2.0 is coping ok with that power level :p

Over 300 bhp go for the forged pistons (I assume they come with tough rods too???) :confused:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
robw said:
Raven,

Good to know, thanks. At what level of HP/torque do the top tuners recommed upgrading the connecting rods on a standard 2.3lpt. Does anyone know?
I don't know, but Chris and Finn have rather obscene amounts of power on normal rods. I think Saab was being overly cautious.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
So the stock cat back exhaust is probably ok, air filter is probably ok, but you would need the 3" down pipe and sports cat I guess........
What would be the impact of upgrading the turbo and ecu without doing the downpipe/sportcat upgrade right away. Would this just result in lesser performance until the hardware is upgraded or does it pose a risk??

I am just wondering how much of the hardware install would need to be done prior to doing the turbo/ecu upgrade. BTW, the turbo arrived today - she's a beauty:cool: .
Thanks again for all of the help guys.
Rob

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Rob you started with the wrong question then, you should have asked:

" I want to add a TD04 turbo and Aero Stage 3 ECU will it run with no other mods? "

The answer I guess is maybe................but the ecu will be mapped for the hardware it will expect larger volumes of air being removed via the down pipe, it will expect more air in via the intake and filter, all its settings will be based around this.

However, the ECU is cheap and re sale-able so personally I'd give it a go, but with caution :confused:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Rob you started with the wrong question then, you should have asked:

" I want to add a TD04 turbo and Aero Stage 3 ECU will it run with no other mods? "

The answer I guess is maybe................but the ecu will be mapped for the hardware it will expect larger volumes of air being removed via the down pipe, it will expect more air in via the intake and filter, all its settings will be based around this.

However, the ECU is cheap and re sale-able so personally I'd give it a go, but with caution :confused:
Chris,
Well put. I guess my question actually has levels - I'll need to replace my turbo soon as the old one is one the way out. Now that I have my hands on the TD04, I am trying to figure out:
1 - the necessary mods to get the thing to work on the car:
(it sounds as though there are none)
2 - the necessary mods to ensure that the cars performance does not degrade (it would be depressing to put on a new turbo and have poorer performance, woulldn't it?) but actually improves:
(sound like the ecu mod here due to the increased lag from the TD04)
3 - the mods that would enable the full performance of the Stage 3 ecu/TD04 combo:
(sounds like the 3"downpipe/sportcat a definite first, open intake and upgraded delivery pipe next)

Mix in there some suspension and brake upgrades and she should fly:cool:.

Thanks again for all of your help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts