SaabCentral Forums banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
No, not really wrong just innovative and forward thinking, There is a Guy like Luke on the Opel board I frequent, (Bob LeGere, Rallye Bob), much the same way, He's in the process of build, rebuilding a station Wagon to be Turbocharged. I've known him since 2002 and he is a wealth of knowledge on Opels.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I love the GTs and even the Mantas were good looking. There is a place in E. ID that used to have a bunch of old 99s, 96s etc. IIRC, there were some GTs there too. I'll have to make the trip over there one of these days and see what he has left.

Google Earth this:
43° 4'57.26"N, 112°44'10.94"W

Dennis (squaab99t) from Squaabworks builds some pretty cool stuff too. He built my diff cover and flares.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Are the flares metal or plastic? Do 99s have the same crazy folded metal arches that 900s have?
The flares are fiberglass. Very thin fiberglass. The originals were vacuum formed plastic, just like the air dam.
Yes, same crazy metal arches. Cutting them back and re-welding was/is a pain in the butt. I say is because it's really not done yet, just hidden by the flares. I may go back and replace the inner liners w/ plastic to lighten the car up...
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
90 Posts
I still have the engine out of my green Manta Rallye, in my Blue Manta Rallye, which was built according to an article from Road and Track in 1974. I had upgraded the carb to a progressive 38DGas, and that was all the Tech inspectors could gripe about, but it was legal. They and others I raced against in E Stock got pissed when I went home that Christmas, built the engine, and started winning my class in Autocross out in North Hills in Raleigh N.C.
I took E stock the last time at V.I.R. the spring before it closed. They have since rebuilt the track into several configurations and race pretty regularly. My son and I go up there when they have a decent show. We live 30 min away in N.C. I was going to start to restore my Rallye next, but am having a hard time sourcing floor pans. I have a 2.0 liter engine with a mild cam, Twin 40 Dcoes,on the intake Sprint Exhaust for the exhaust, S-10 clutch, pressure plate, in front of a 240 5 speed Getrag, to go in the Manta. Enclosed is a picture of my Gt at a local car show and last year when I took it to the Nationals in Charlotte. Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light

My Gt

Car Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle

Car Show Sunrise at the Nationals

·
Registered
90 Posts
I love the GTs and even the Mantas were good looking. There is a place in E. ID that used to have a bunch of old 99s, 96s etc. IIRC, there were some GTs there too. I'll have to make the trip over there one of these days and see what he has left.

Google Earth this:
43° 4'57.26"N, 112°44'10.94"W

Dennis (squaab99t) from Squaabworks builds some pretty cool stuff too. He built my diff cover and flares.
His place I found on Google Earth

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Those are some sweet GT's. Also, I just spotted one at an old gas station on Burns, OR. It's somebody's project shop and it just appeared there about a month ago with current plates. I'll try to get a pic when I drive by tomorrow.

43°35'27.43"N, 119° 3'16.17"W

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks, I'll post it to the board. I'm in N.C. Surprisingly there is another 88 Saab about 5 miles from me. That's only one around here I've seen. Here for a long read, is my Honey or Hell Moon trip to Gloucester on my Manta in 1975.

·
Registered
9,660 Posts
The flares are fiberglass. Very thin fiberglass. The originals were vacuum formed plastic, just like the air dam.
Yes, same crazy metal arches. Cutting them back and re-welding was/is a pain in the butt. I say is because it's really not done yet, just hidden by the flares. I may go back and replace the inner liners w/ plastic to lighten the car up...
On a friend's car we hammered the crap out of them with an air hammer for tire clearance. The first one turned out good, but took as long as the other three combined. :) I keep thinking about repeating that on my '85 and then having some metal flares made. That's a "when I get it painted" project, which is probably never at this rate. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I tried and failed once myself. Incredibly strong bodies.

I got home today and slipped my new springs in. The Draco's (the purple one) are 10", 350lb springs. The new ones are Eibach 10", 300lb. Let's the rear sit a little lower and softens things up a bit.
Glasses Tire Automotive tire Liquid Tread

Automotive tire Gas Asphalt Bicycle part Rim

Automotive tire Tire Tread Synthetic rubber Asphalt

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
I bought them from a Volvo site. I'd have to go back and figure out where I got them. I did the mod back in 2017. Welded a plate to the bottom of the control arm, and the threaded barrel bolts to that. They fit 3" springs. The springs are ground flat on each end so the bottom rests on the adjustment ring and there is a thin rubber ring on the top between the spring and the body. I can just get a 10" spring in and out without dropping the control arm.
Gas Auto part Nut Tool Machine
Composite material Personal protective equipment Metal Electric blue Bicycle part

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Right, the barrel is threaded, so the gold ring is the adjustment base. I suppose I should have mounted the perches to the body to reduce unsprung weight, but I thought it would be easier to get new control arms if I didn't like the results. 10" springs are a little short, so the rear of the car is about 1/2" higher than optimum. Otherwise the springs get loose at full droop.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Thanks!
I've got an adjustable Panhard rod and I made adjustable training links, too. I may build a softer/adjustable sway bar, but I need to do something with brakes first, then back to the front suspension...

So let's talk brakes. I plan on Wildwood 6816 Dynamite II's for the front. Not sure about the rear.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts