SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished my turbo outlet pipe this week, so that wraps up the biggest parts of Frank's new engine.
I've been driving it around, terrorizing the neighborhood and getting lots of thumbs up's!
I haven't really got on the boost yet, letting it break in kind of gentle. I've flushed the trans twice, still getting junk out from the 3rd gear spring it ate a few years ago.
A quick rundown of this engine:
2.1 bored to 94 mm with custom RaceTec pistons. Crowns and skirts coated. Eagle rods.
85 SPG exhaust cam, 9000 intake valves, mild porting, stainless tubular exhaust manifold. ARP studs.
MCS T5.5 system with lightened flywheel, SPEC Stage 2+ disc with AP 9000T PP.
Mitsu TE05 with Viggen intercooler.
900 Radiator, dual fans, custom motor mounts.
5-speed w/ Quaiffe LSD.
Bicycle part Crankset Auto part Automotive wheel system Rim

Car Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle

Ruler Motor vehicle Office ruler Automotive tire Automotive exhaust

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle tire Hood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does look close, but the pulley is really below the booster. There's over 3/4" between the shoulder of the alternator and the brake booster. I have my own front motor mount that stops the engine from torquing back into the booster and firewall as well.

Table Wood Gas Auto part Circle

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I use the 1980 99 front cover/mount if that's what you mean.
The lower front mount gave me more room for the 900 radiator as well.
I did weld up a new bracket for the passenger side, replacing the 900 solid mount I used to use.

If you don't want to make a hockypuck mount for the front, you can tighten down that big washer/nut. That will lower the front (pulling the alt away from the booster) and firm up the mount.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it's short for FrankenSAAB.
My wife called it that when it first fired in '94. Then Grassroots Motorsports called it that in a sidebar about the car a few years later. So that's it's name.
It's a bit much at times so it just became Frank.
25 years on and the evolution continues...and it's still a monster.

😁 I can only think of Frank Frink from The Man in the High Castle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For male cats I've had a Harvey (Korman), Oscar (the Grouch), Otis and GIR (GIR). Evenly split between Tabby and black. I think I will always have at least 1 Tabby and 1 black together.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As long as I had it off the car, I thought I'd take the opportunity to open up the other side of my airdam and install a grille today. I built this airdam using all the bits from a destroyed one I found years ago. They aren't a bad replica, but
I wish SAS had made these flush, like the original donor EMS unit. Instead they molded in the holes...😡
I still need to repair and paint the bezel, but now I can install a trans cooler.
Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Tints and shades

Bumper Wood Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks! These are the 'street clothes'.

It's a MCS light flywheel with a AP 9000T PP and a SPEC Stage 2+ disc. According to my Ultragage, it's breaking loose at a calculated 260 ft lbs., About 14psi.
There's a chance I under-spec'd the clutch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The 240. I thought so too. I'll pull it apart and see what's going on, but that will have to wait. This is a good way for me to keep from over doing it while the engine breaks in.

I'm going to need bigger brakes.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts