SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all and Happy October.

I've found a 1970 99GL in pristine shape, with only 70k and a four speed. Will this four speed transmission work in my 1988 or 89 SAAB?

This car is in really really good shape and its purple in color. Never knew SAAB's were painted purple. Has the soccer ball rims in very good shape and the interior is almost spotless. No body damage At all, and all glass/lenses are perfect. Anyway I've found this tranny and have a lead on a second.

Also I've found two Sonnett's one grey and the other orange. Shall post pictures this week.

ps

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I don't know - I'd be tempted to hang onto the 99 - especially if it's as clean and unique as you say - search around for a less pristine version to yank the gearbox out of - you'll need the shift linkage and stuff as well as the gearbox - can't see why it wouldn't fit in your 900 (unless the inner drivers were different) - but it'd be a shame to part out a solid 99 ...

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
If it's a nice car, and you can find someone who wants it, it would be nice to preserve it. But in a State twice the size of France, with a population of 650,000, the odds of finding someone nearby who wants a 37 year old SAAB are slim.
Advertise for an enthusiast during a brief period of mourning, then use it if you need it. Personally, I think the 4-speed durability is over-rated.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't thinking of the four speed for durability as much a matching my power curve, with the recent upgrades I've done.

This is the first 99 I've seen in these parts that was not smashed flat. Yes I understand the significance of finding a 37 year old car in good condition, but most here in AK know nothing of SAAB's much less what a 99 is. If I had room, I would buy it and try to do something with it. But I have no room, just bought a fourth vehicle. So now I have two cars parked on the street and two parked in my garage I share with eight other people. I found this is a towing lot.

So I surmise that it will fit, but have not been told definitively that it will.

ps

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Why would the primaries matter (I still do not understand the transmission differences in a Saab)? I thought that what happened inside the transmission was not that important because it connects to the engine through the clutch.

About the Saab 99, have you considered craigslist?

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Read this thread - http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110752

It is a very early box so differs quite a bit. The clutch is different as is the front engine mount. You will need to swap the front primary housing over to make it fit easily - Not sure if you can use your 5 speed box as a donor for the bits or if you will need a later 4 speed.

You need a later 4 speed box to do an easy swap. With the 78 onwards 4 speed boxes you only need to swap over the front panel to make it fit in a 900.
I've just gone the other way and fitted a 5 speed 900 box into a 99.

front cover swap to get the differetn engine mount is all that is required to put a late 4 speed in a 900

You will need the complete linkage too and putting the 4 speed linkage into a 900 would require some extra length welding onto the selector shaft (i cut an inch off a 900 one to fit it into a 99)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Don't do it man! You don't even want a 4 speed box anyway, why whould you want the hassle of all that work for one less gear? Not when there are loads of 5 speed variations to choose from. If you want different gearing just go with a gearbox with different primaries (you can get type 4 (low) 5,6,7,8 (very high) take your pick!) People reckon that the best gearbox to go for is one from a post '89 900 and that would drop stright in your 900 with no modification. But to destroy a solid 99 for the gearbox is a Saabing crime :nono;

Advertise it on ebay, craigslist on here and wherever, if someone is really looking for a 99 they're probably willing to travel for it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Reasons not to do it:

Gear driven primaries. a '70 trans would have free-wheeling, external slave cylinder, narrower differential, geared for a top speed of ~100mph, a 1970 99 should NOT be parted out!

Reasons to do it:

This page left intentionally blank.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Check over at http://saabrally.com/ - and some of their other rally links - the 99's are really popular rally cars - those guys are always looking cars - after all - once you strip out the gearbox and associated bits that 99 will be worth nothing - and that'd be a darned shame.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I want this Saab 99. idiot_saabvant, I've sent you a private message.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts