SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why these are not avalible in the UK? I've just rigged mine up, WOW what a difference to parking at night with no street lights to guild you. Awesome!!:cheesy: Seems to me that every car should have them. Are they illegel here, and if so why? Surely it is better to have all round vision than taking your wing out becouse you didn't see that car,wall or whatever.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
SAAB have had these on Canadian cars since at least my 1978 99GL. They are "cornering lights" in Sweden and go on when you indicate a turn. Later they switched to going on with the reversing lamps.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
This is not going to be very constructive, but I love the lights also. I didn't know my car had them, and I was researching the sudden light around my car when I put it in reverse....those things are awesome. That's actually the only reason why I still didn't get the clear corner lights...

Klim

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have clear corner lights and they work perfectly well with them.:cheesy:

·
Registered
987 Posts
All the clear corner lights I've seen have the spot for the back-up lights blanked off.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's right they are blanked, but with a drill you can take them out and still mount the lights on. All I did then is put some insulating tape in to hold them, an extra safety messure.:cheesy: Still don't know if they are illegal or not!

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
I didnt even know they existed until I brought it in for inspection, and the mechanic replaced the bulbs (they were just burnt out). WOW they are awesome! Not completely necessary, but more of a luxury thats nice to have

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a look for these toinght but guess mine are broken.
Where are they hidden? I was guessing the side indicators (but pointing backwards) from the above posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Yep, that's them. If you have yellow turn signals, these are clear parts of the turn signals located on the back of them. It is amazing how from a little line 1 centimeter thick you can get SO mich light!
I totally love this feature.
If saab would now steal the passenger outside mirror from BMW, the one which turns down when you switch into the reverse, it would be awesome:))

Klim

·
Registered
730 Posts
mulik51 said:
Yep, that's them. If you have yellow turn signals, these are clear parts of the turn signals located on the back of them. It is amazing how from a little line 1 centimeter thick you can get SO mich light!
If saab would now steal the passenger outside mirror from BMW, the one which turns down when you switch into the reverse, it would be awesome:))

Klim
I know the acura cl had this too, but what if you dont wanna look at the ground when reversing

I didnt know they had them so long ago. I will check if mine are just burnt out bulbs.

Also, Stefano, did you get a ducati?:D

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hey Mulik, the passenger door mirror that tilts down when you put it in reverse on BMW's was only available on the cars that had elec mem drivers seats. Obviously, with the memory of the drivers seat set, the mirror would know where to stop when coming back up. I had that feature on one of my 735i's. I thought it was well cool.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I definitly know that BMW330 has ii(2001).
Good point that the mirrow needs to know where to return to;)
But the feature is definitly cool, would definitly help paralel parking. especially if you have nice and expensive rims...and you still can see the side of the car if you change your angle a bit.

Klim

·
Registered
99 Posts
mulik51 said:

Klim
Hmm I will need to have another look, but im sure when I looked before there was no clear part... I think mine might not be the originals though.

Also in reverse there is no light so I assume I need new bulbs too.. was this on all models of 9000 or maybe just the later ones?

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
Si|ver Bu||et said:
Also, Stefano, did you get a ducati?:D
Let's say that in the last months I've become somehow involved with that Manufacturer... I also ride a Multistrada 1100 :cheesy:

Back to my question... how do I get my reversing lights in my Euro-spec car, besides finding the way to fit bulbs in my clear corner lights?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
UK9K said:
Hey Mulik, the passenger door mirror that tilts down when you put it in reverse on BMW's was only available on the cars that had elec mem drivers seats. Obviously, with the memory of the drivers seat set, the mirror would know where to stop when coming back up. I had that feature on one of my 735i's. I thought it was well cool.
Actually, pondering on it a bit, it seems as if you don't need the memory for the mirrors. You just have to have a particular distance the mirror goes down, and then it should go the same distance up and will end up at exactly the same spot it began from. So, it seems to be still doable on 9000.:)))

Klim

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I certainly started a topic here.
OK, to answer a few questions that I somehow raised. Firstly, I drive the old style 9000, not the face-lift version, I owned 2 of these and they both have the wiring harnesses for front reverse lights. Also they both had the hole, behind the indicators, for the lights to mount. I then, as mentioned, installed clear lenses, to which I drilled out the blank hole, for the lights to fit in. Secondly, I have not owned, as yet, the face-lift 9000, so I have no ideal if the wiring harnesses are there or not. If they are, they will be tied back near the indicators.
I don't know if the GM Saabs have this feature, it's great driving a solid Sweed.....:D :D

Still don't know if they are illegel here (UK) or not!!:roll:

·
Registered
51 Posts
There is nothing in the construction and use regulations about reversing lights at the side of the car.. but since there only on when your going backwards I cant see a problem. Im off out to see if mine has them!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Tooky, that is my theroy too. Good luck in finding your lights.:cheesy:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts