SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just pondering about cams and did some research about mixing cams. My buddy was running a 900 t16 and had a turbo intake cam N/A exhust cam. what is the best combo with just using stock cams, i have both turbo and n/a cams lying around. is there an advantage, how does the car idle? last question, can you swap cams easy, just pull em out and place the new one in? thanks guys

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Cams

Dunno about which cams are best but i don't think it's to hard to swap them, atleast you don't have to lift the engine or anything like that, just a matter of rotating to TDC and taking the valve cover off, unbolting the cam from the sproket on the timing chain(+ a few other bits). I think the main thing you have to be carefull of is not rotating the engine or letting the timing chain drop while the cam is off.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
wouldnt a turbo cam provide a long inlet time and the n/a cam would make short powerfull bursts to spin a turbo faster?I dunno I could be complety wrong.what do I know its 1:40 and I have a job interview at 10:30 in the morning...in fact what am I doing here?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
from what i have heard, the NA exhaust cam keeps the exhaust valves open longer, more lift, and thus spooling the turbo faster. Now i have been running 19 pounds in my car for a long time now and with the 3in exhaust and DP it spools very fast. 19 lbs by 3200-3500 rpm. Will i gain anything wether it be top end, bottom end with swapping the exhuast cam. i am also looking for a more agressive sound at idle, the intimadation factor, gotta have it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Usually NA cars have "hotter" cams that turbocharged ones. Therefore swapping to a NA cam might be usefull in some applications. I do not think this is applicable to Saab engines, though. The 2.1 engine is not really a high performance engine. No hot cams there. As far as I know, you will not gain anything by installing the 2.1 NA cam. You can have a look at 900aero.com and check the valve timing and lift...

Cheers,

Tadek

1 - 5 of 5 Posts