Registered
11,140 Posts
It's wrong.

Switch the hoses.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem i had when I tried to flip it was that the valve has a long stem on the side that apparently attaches to the metal return pipe on the left in the picture. It is so long that the other stem misses the attachment point on the intake pipe. Perhaps I should shave off a inch or so from that metal return pipe? Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
I think it might be easier to cut the rubber hose.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm... I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. What do you mean when you say 'flip the hoses'? Do you mean to flip the valve so that the top of the valve with the smallest hose is pointing towards the front of the car instead of towards the drivers side? If so, then cutting the rubber hose would do no good (I assume you are talking about the rubber hose connecting the valve to the metal recirc pipe). In fact, there really isnt enough hose as it is because the stem on the valve is so long. :confused:

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
My apologies. I went out to check my own car and I was totally wrong before.;oops:
The crappy aftermarket BOV I used to have had the vacuum line oriented the way I described earlier, but I took that piece of crap off and replaced it with the stock BPV.

Your valve is in the proper position...:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did notice this picture on Abott's web site that made we wonder:

They appear to have theirs on in the opposite direction...

·
Registered
223 Posts
The way you have it the valve must open against the pressure it's trying to release. Turn it through 90 degrees (so the vacuum tube faces the front) and the valve opens away from the pressure it's trying to release - it'll respond much quicker and the valves internals won't be permanently exposed to hot post-turbo air. I know there's been a bit of debate on this but that's just my 2c. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, there has been a bit of debate about this... hence my confustion and reason for posting. T-9, I take it you have yours on as you've described? Did you have any trouble getting it to fit?

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
I must say I really don't understand this either. THe way you have yours fitted is the way a stock bpv is fitted. Yet, when you put on a bov, the only big hose comes in from the base and directly in line w/ the valve. I've always wondered why the stock valve fits differently.

·
Registered
223 Posts
gutmoburb said:
Yes, there has been a bit of debate about this... hence my confustion and reason for posting. T-9, I take it you have yours on as you've described? Did you have any trouble getting it to fit?
Yeah mine's on oriented front-to-back (see pic), but's also a 'stubby' and that makes things considerably easier. :cool:
(Part no for the 'stubby' is FMDVS007PA)

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the pic t9. I guess the setup for the connections is a bit different on my 9-3. There is actually plenty of room toward the front of the car. The connection of the valve back to the intake on mine is to a metal pipe with a small rubber connector where yours appears to be all rubber. This has been why it is difficult for me to flip the valve, becuase the stem of the valve is too long and hits the metal pipe, making the other stem that connects to the intake pipe go to far to the right (toward the battery). Alas, I think I may just have to cut the metal pipe a bit...I think once Forge Motorsports has their web site back up, I'll email them to see what their design intention is, perhaps ending the debate.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I had the EXACT same dilema

but i just keep mine in the way it fits, only becuase its louder....i tried cutting the pipe and its queiter....so i just kept it with the vacuum hose facing out to the right and it works perfect. If you havent already, you ghould get the blue color silicone rubber peice the replaces that connecting rubber peice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts