SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got some time to do a write up for this. Last weekend I replaced the stock BPV valve with a Forge one. After hours of searching the forum I was able to find some info and dig up the part number to use. It's definitely an eay upgrade and being tuned I've noticed an improvement with WOT boost.

My car had about 75k miles on it when I vtune'd it. After a month I started hearing more and more of the "tshh tshh tshh" noise under WOT. I figured the stock bpv was starting to go and was letting all that glorious boost leak out. After installing the Forge unit, I still hear some of the noise under WOT but it's not nearly as bad. The car does feel much better too, probably because I was not holding all of the boost before.

I also have a BSR intake and the turbo noise still sounds the same as before, except now it has a more metal/tin-ny noise. Under light load throttle lift offs, it will sometimes make more of a pinging noise like you would hear some BOVs make.

Installation was really simple. The hardest part was getting my socket down next to the turbo to loosen up the clamp holding on the plastic intake tube. Once that is loose, just pull the tube off, move aside, pull off one hose, and remove 3 bolts. I did it with the engine bone cold and had no problems getting the bolts off. I didn't even need to use any BP Blaster, just a good ol' push to break the bolt free.

Info:
my car: 2007 2.0T
Forge BPV valve
part number FMDVRMR

the cheapest I found it was online at http://www.vivaperformance.com/
cost: $153 + shipping

I couldn't find any on ebay, I hear that they crop on there from time to time. The part number I bought is suposedly the newer version of the same thing. On Viva's website it was listed under the Genesis/Sonata 2.0T, guess we use the same turbo.

I did not get any extra springs with it. I am just using what was already in it and it seems fine with my stg 1 vtune.

Not a bad upgrade, especially if the stock bpv is going bad or if you are tuned. $150 isn't expensive nor cheap, only sucks that no one can see it's shiney, polished goodness.

Now for some images!

removed:

installed:

stock vs Forge:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If you're still getting that boost cut noise under WOT it could be plugs or a bad coil too. I replaced my bpv with a bov thinking the same thing but didn't fully fix the problem. I'm in the process of getting newer coils and wil be switching back to stock heat value plugs per fredrik's advice from maptun. I'll let you know how that goes. I used to think it was just boost cut off in hotter temps, but since unplugging the battery and allowing the ecu to recalibrate doesn't fix it I'm thinking that my 105k coils might be the source.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tip. I havn't felt any jerking or power loss really, just the tsh'ing noise here and there. If I can hold out till 100k for new coils I'll be happy.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have the same one on the the boot of the car, awaiting a visit to the dealer, jejejeje, bought directly to Forge, jointly with the rest of goodies.......mmmmmmmm I ordered with the yellow spring, by mistake they didn't include it, but after an email they send me the correct one in few days.

I let you know how it goes, as with the Stage4+ ( I asked to Maptun to increase the torque to 410NM as I has the Spec clutch), I am listening a little spluttering noise at full boost, and the TD04 is really new, but I expect the diapgrahm couldn't handle the boost.

In my case I need to remove also the strut bar.

regards

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Theoretically is the forge BPV better for the car ( and performance) than the BOV setup with a block off plate? and i wonder how the forge would cooperate with a boost controller.....

·
Registered
850 Posts
One question when yo uinstalled it, did you notice if the hole with C shape on the valve fits exactly in the same place as the one in the turbo?? The dealer installed mine yesterday and said to me it doesn't fit exactly in the same place, there is a small part of the valve C shape hole that doesn't overlap in the turbo hole.

I installed the yellow spring, as Ihave the Maptun Stage4+ and once it appeared the P0033 CEL code, we delete it and it seems ok, but I am little bit worried.

Regards

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
nice install, should sound the same overall as the stock one too

·
Registered
850 Posts
As I said, you can see the alignment of the C shape hole isn't exactly the same in the Forge valve and the turbo. Check where is positioned the screw hole in the valve respectively with the C hole in the Turbo and in the Vale. In the valve it's in the middle of the C, but in the turbo it's 30º more or less moved.

Do you know if this could cause any issue in long term?

Regards

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I said, you can see the alignment of the C shape hole isn't exactly the same in the Forge valve and the turbo. Check where is positioned the screw hole in the valve respectively with the C hole in the Turbo and in the Vale. In the valve it's in the middle of the C, but in the turbo it's 30º more or less moved.

Do you know if this could cause any issue in long term?

Regards

I didn't even think about the hole not aligning the same. I figured it looked the same as the oem part and was a good enough match. No issues or anything that I can tell. It still functions the same (can tell from the whooshing noise), so I don't think there are any issues with the alignment of the hole. Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I didn't even think about the hole not aligning the same. I figured it looked the same as the oem part and was a good enough match. No issues or anything that I can tell. It still functions the same (can tell from the whooshing noise), so I don't think there are any issues with the alignment of the hole. Hope that helps you.

The c NEEDS to be lined up or it will not work correctly. It can only go on that way.

·
Registered
850 Posts
But could be aligned?? that's the thing, because when I have in my hands that part was fixed, only the cover can move and be adjusted. Check the rubber seals for example around, all that base is fixed.

regards

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So tonight I decided to take off my bpv and have a look at how it was installed. Sure enough it wasn't as good as it could have been. When you look at the turbo, the C hole would be to the right. My bpv was installed with the C towards the top.

What I had to do was unscrew the valve and rotate the nipple around so that the C hole on the bpv would be to the right and the nipple pointing up. The reason I installed it wrongly to begin with was I A) didn't think about this and B) it was how I could have installed the hose without it kinking against the engine block.

Pic of how I oriented the nipple to the C hole (there's a dirty joke in there somewhere :cheesy:). sorry for blurrycam, my camera is old and doesn't like up close shots.

Pretty much if you install the pbv with the hole to the right it will be as good as it will get.

I haven't felt any negative side effects so far, but at least I double checked and made it better :cool:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Be careful with the Spring!!!

I asked to Forge for the yellow spring and installed it, as I have the Maptun Stage4+(265bhp, 410NM) and after talking with Maptun they said me the boost pressure will be around 1,2 bar. After installing the Forge BPV with the yellow spring, sometimes I notice the same issue I had when the wastegate of the GT20 turbo was broken, no CEL, but the car sometimes, the first miles, pluf!! on limp home mode.

I uninstall the yellow spring and fitted the standard one, and problem solved, no more limp home mode.

Regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
dump valve

i removed my bpv completely and used a forge blanking plate to block it off,i then put on a forge twin piston dumpvalve and my cars been running perfect for over six months.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts