SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how you find the reliability running a stage 3. I'm assuming most of you that have a 3" DP, got it from BSR? and if so, did you run the larger injectors and the whole 9 yards? i want to know a little about it. gimme your opinions.

Thanks, Gunner

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol... yeah, I may be! it turns out I may be able to have BOTH toys! ahh what a wonderfull world!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
M4G,

Not sure what the configuration is for a Linear (or 1.8t), but larger injectors are not needed on a USDM Arc/Vector/Aero (2.0HOT).

The hardware appears to be reasonably reliable. There are some issues with the bolts backing themselves out and allowing exhaust leaks between the turbo & DP due to space constraint beneith the hood.
IMO unless you can get 93 Octane at the pump, I wouldn't suggest going stage 3.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so pretty much, some lock-tite would fix the known "issues"? and other than that, its pretty rock solid?

out of curiosity, did you run a stage I/II before making the move to stage III? or did you just jump in head first?

also, how long have you been running the setup as-is?

Thanks for your time guys.

Gunner

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
M4Gunner said:
so pretty much, some lock-tite would fix the known "issues"? and other than that, its pretty rock solid?
loctite or some lock washers do the trick.

M4Gunner said:
out of curiosity, did you run a stage I/II before making the move to stage III? or did you just jump in head first?
Ran Stage I for a few months, ordered the downpipe but had to wait for the rest of the exhaust to show up. Eventually installed Stage 3 a few months after running S1.

M4Gunner said:
also, how long have you been running the setup as-is?
I've had the 3"DP + exhaust on now for about 6 months. I haven't really run the stage 3 software a whole lot since the "incident". Every chance I get to buy 100 Octane gas, I usually take advantage and switch software. Now that I've got my Porsche, I really don't care how fast my SAAB is :cool:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sorry to drift here, but (mbodo) you are thus running your 3" DP untuned normally, correct?

I recall some posting last fall saying someting to the effect of "you cannot run a 3" DP without stage 3 or you will ruin your ride" which made no sense to me at all. I could see the inverse being true: running the S3 software without the DP might cause havoc.

Nothing like an 'incident' to steal away your fun.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mbodo, Refresh my memory. what was the incident? and, this is the PERFECT question!.... when you run the DP w/ stage 1 software/no software, do you notice a bigger difference than if it was the same ECU mod w/o the DP? if that makes any sense..:roll:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
voodoochile said:
Sorry to drift here, but (mbodo) you are thus running your 3" DP untuned normally, correct?
As of right now, that is correct. Per the tales of woe if you run the downpipe untuned, maybe I'm taking my chances, maybe it's unfounded skepticism, maybe a bit of both. I've not noticed any degredation in performance, as a matter of fact, using my patented butt dyno, I believe the car feels slightly quicker than stock. This is the same sensation I felt in my Taurus SHO when I added hiflow cats, right before I retired the car to the crusher.

M4Gunner said:
when you run the DP w/ stage 1 software/no software, do you notice a bigger difference than if it was the same ECU mod w/o the DP? if that makes any sense..
At this point, I still have the Stage 3 software in the PPC. I have asked PFS to roll me back to Stage 1 on BSR's site, but I haven't d/l'd the "old" software yet, still some questions I haven't asked PFS as of yet with regards to doing that ..

FWIW, not to shamelessly plug PFS, but if you're going to order BSR parts, order it through these guys. They are pretty quick (considering they're on the other side of the pond) and will answer any questions you have. I think I can safely say they've taken care of me.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
^ how much would you spend on the PPC knowing what you do now.. if you dont want to post please PM me :) I trust your opinion prob. most of all on here since you have seen the good and bad.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Simply put, there is no better upgrade for the money than the Stage 1 PPC. The going rate when I bought mine (around $850 after import tax) was worth every penny.

If I would have known about the fuel limitations ahead of time, I might not have gone with Stage 3 on account of the fact that there is no 93 octane gas available to me. If there were, I think it would be a different story.

One of the moderators (I think..) has stage 3 in Florida .. not sure if you can get 93 down there or not, but it would be interesting to hear how it's been working out for him. I think his is a 6 speed, where as mine is a 5sp automatic. I'm sure Stage 3 on a manual turns these cars into something that can chase down G35s.

If you're hell-bent on performance and going the route of modifying a car to get there, I'd seriously think about either getting an older SAAB to tinker around with, a WRX.

I guess I just gave in with the new car ;)

·
Registered
563 Posts
apart from the obvious warranty issues and risks to your ECU then by far BSR is best value. Stage 1 with maybe a back box is still on the top of my list i reckon. As you might haver read i drove a full stage 2 hirsch car the other week and it was brilliant. just how the car should be but it cam at a cost. 2600 pounds (uk) for the ecu, pipe work and intercooler. No way ...

I'm not after 300hp plus .. i know the limitations of the car .. but i like it and by the sounds from you guys a stage 1 ppc might just be the ticket for me..

BTW how is the porsche going :)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Bladey said:
BTW how is the porsche going :)
More fun than a barrel of monkeys. I had a quick vid posted on a web server that demo'd the joy and rapture that the car provides, I'll post it again later tonite when I get home.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i dont understand why just having a bigger downpipe means u have to get new custom software, what is it about the 3" downpipe that our T8 doesnt agree with?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I think it really has more to do with getting the performance gain from the 3" DP that requires the change in software ... it ~could~ be that the change in backpressure throws the T8 off slightly, I suppose. If the system is as controlling as they say it is & measures as many variables as is claimed, the unexpected change in flow characteristics may cause the T8 system to "freak out" ... but not sure about that.

Now ... the Stage 3 for Linears also includes a change in injectors (not just DP) and that may further complicate the issue of can you switch back and forth between tunes; but I believe the injectors that are included in the kit are basically 2.0T injectors, so maybe not. mdobo has an Aero (DP only hardware changed) & reports no issues switching tunes. Maybe someone could query BSR directly for an explanation?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts