SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For thse of you that have done their own oil change, Where did you get the oil filter gasket and the drain plug washer gasket? I had planned on changing the oil this weekend but can't find these items at any part stores around. Please advise. Thank you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought there was a larger o-ring that needs replaced when remiving the oil filter housing cover. There is a small o-ring that comes on the filter. I have seen the larger o-ring on some of the oil filter kits you can order online.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
I have replaced neither the oil filter cap o-ring nor the draing plug gasket over several oil changes. The drain plug may have a crush washer. I don't remember.

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
You can get both gaskets from the dealer and also from a few online places. The drain plug gasket is rubber, not copper like the classic 900.

If you do your own oil changes, you might skip the gasket change sometimes. If someone else change it, they might overtighten so I would change the gasket if I changed the oil the next time.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Dave 37 said:
If someone else changes it, they might overtighten
I don't think you can get a job in "professional" auto repair unless you routinely exceed max tightening torque by at least 50%.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I've done several oil changes on the 2.2L Ecotec on my mom's car and I've not replaced the o-ring on the filter cap yet. I expect the one on the Saab to hold up just as well, it's the same part.

As far as the oil drain plug gasket, isn't it an attached rubber gasket? That's what the 2.2L Ecotec engine has on it's drain plug, and I've gotten upwards of 100,000 miles worth of oil changes out of this type of drain plug, my old car, a Ford Contour, had this type of drain plug w/ attached rubber gasket.

If not then I may just have to go to a Chevy (or Ford) dealership and get a new drain plug for my Saab ;) (the thread size is identical between the 2.0L Ecotoec, 2.2L Ecotec, and the 2.5L Duratec that's in the Contour I had).

On the other hand maybe I should get a Fumoto valve and make oil changes really easy...

·
Banned
631 Posts
Ive never changed the gaskets on my oil filter housing / oil drain plug and never had any problems.

Never had any leaks etc etc etc.

But yet again, this is me. a mechanic. bla bla bla.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
the drain plug gasket is a black rubber seal that sits under the head of the bolt. i have always changed this with an oil change. you have to pry it out with a screwdriver. the filter gasket is a greenish o-ring...i declined this purchase when i bought my filter and realized it wasn't even installed when i pulled my old filter out. so in turn, i forgot to install one, which is the way my filter is at this point in time. so far no leaks or any problems. apparently according to the guy working at the counter, it is left out many times anyway.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I refuse to pay for an oil change from the dealership so i do it myself. I buy the oil filter from O Reily's and purchase the WIX brand. It comes with a new ring in everybox. Really save me money. Simple process

·
Banned
631 Posts
and doing the oil change is quite simple ;) Dont understand why lube shops charge $100+ for an oil change. Obviously they are "providing a service" and they have to pay for "supplies / employees / rent etc etc etc" But $100 + ??

Ide only do it if the car was still under warranty

·
Registered
353 Posts
Anyone care to do a writeup with some pics? It'd be a nice addition to the DIY sticky...

I'm squeamish about changing oil for some reason even though I'm fairly mechanicaly able (have done full suspensions, valve cover gaskets, plugs, brakes, replaced a gas tank... the list goes on)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think the hard part is getting rid of the oil after you remove it. I will see if i can come up with something. Yes, i agree a DIY instructios with photos would be nice..

I forgot I found this http://www.f64.nu/oilchange/
the only thing is the oil filter is different, for my vector it is not a canister.

·
Banned
631 Posts
i take my oil to my work and dispose of it there.

For you who dont work in shops, you can bring it to local garage. Since they get paid for disposal. So free oil to them = more money.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I'm squeamish about changing oil for some reason even though I'm fairly mechanicaly able (have done full suspensions, valve cover gaskets, plugs, brakes, replaced a gas tank... the list goes on)
this is a weird statement IMO...i'm not sure how that's possible.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm the same way, as much mechanical work I can do, I don't like messing with the fluids. I think it is mostly because of disposal issues. I have the dealer on my other cars change the oil, brake fluid and coulant as needed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts