SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Saab 9-3 CV
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wanted to change the ATF in my new-to-me 2006 9-3 CV and, of course researched what fluid I should use (5 speed auto). I came across many suggestions, speculations, and opinions. Based on the recommendation of many, I decided to use Toyota's T-IV fluid. Fast forward to yesterday when I'm actually changing the fluid. I was quite surprised to see, right there on the dipstick, that it plainly states to use T-IV fluid. I hadn't come across this proof in my research so I thought I'd share.
The fluid change went very well, BTW. The old stuff was quite dirty and I'm surprised at how well the transmission was shifting considering. I've only put on about 30 miles since the change but it's doing great so far. I plan on doing the 3x drain and fill so I'm sure it will only get better.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
3x drain will change about 70-75% of oil.
Remember that all oil will be "old and dirty" right after first start.

·
Super Moderator
9,067 Posts
5 speed auto Toyota type-IV,3309 or equivalent fluid..

there are plenty of threads on this board saying which fluid to use in the 9-3 auto trans whether 5 or 6 speed..

·
Registered
79 Posts
3x drain will change about 70-75% of oil.
Remember that all oil will be "old and dirty" right after first start.
On this note, how bad is it to do a flush at a tranny place? Are seals realistically going to blow? I just hate half-assing the job.

·
Super Moderator
20,205 Posts
its not half assing. drain and fill. its the best way

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
there is no doubt that a machine clean and flush is the best way to do it. But most indie shops if any , do not have the machine to do it. I distrust typical transmission shops, they are gradually going out of business as it becomes cheaper to replace with recycled or new units. Or like the past few years, for example ,FCA will not sell repair parts for the auto 8 speed transmission, and therefore its buy new or scrap the car. Lots of scrapped five year old FCA vehicles, as a 9,000 dollar transmission replacement is unsupportable. Trans shops struggle with the changing market and as the techs get older, the shops disappear. Remember when there were radiator and gas tank repair shops all over, and rad re-core was a semi annual maintenance schedule? I am totally saddened to say I do, but most on here wont know wtf I am talking about....

GM dealers generally have the equipment, but wont willingly do a SAAB as the trans fluid is not GM Dextron 3 and they wont clean out their machine and start over with 3309 fluid, it takes too much fluid to fill the machine. Maybe a Toyota dealership will do it. I have done mine three times over the past few years, meant to do it again last summer ( I stock pile the fluid) but didn't, so this spring for sure, drain and refill ; its easy enough but its a SAAB ... so my 07 doesn't have a dipstick! I may just make one this time around,

·
Registered
2006 Saab 9-3 CV
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
5 speed auto Toyota type-IV,3309 or equivalent fluid..

there are plenty of threads on this board saying which fluid to use in the 9-3 auto trans whether 5 or 6 speed..
Yes there are. There are also plenty of threads debating the issue. However I've not seen a single one showing a pic of the dipstick with the spec plainly stated. Was posting for those that seem to question using Toyota fluid in a Saab.

·
Super Moderator
20,205 Posts
Don't recall anyone questioning. The stickied how to post has multiple threads on tranny fluid swaps and solenoid swaps and all of them state feel free to use Toyota Type4 as it is an Aisin Warner tranny that a lot of manufacturers use.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Don't recall anyone questioning. The stickied how to post has multiple threads on tranny fluid swaps and solenoid swaps and all of them state feel free to use Toyota Type4 as it is an Aisin Warner tranny that a lot of manufacturers use.
Diggs he needs the how to on making a trans dipstick from 05 and previous 95

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'll disagree on the notion that there is no doubt that a machine flush is the best route to go. There is no lack of horror stories from the owners of any transmission when it comes to a flush. Especially at the likes of the quickie shops who use universal fluids and contaminated machines. A generic machine flush is actually one of the last things I would do.

A DIY thorough flush can be done by disconnecting the transmission lines, aiming them into a receptical, and starting the car. Run it until the fluid quits pumping, add fresh fluid to continue the pumping, until you see fresh fluid running out. At that point you are nearly 100% fresh fluid. This is actually covered in the service manual. Won't argue that it's overkill for a car with simply older fluid. Just that it is more thorough and completely DIY.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
I'll disagree on the notion that there is no doubt that a machine flush is the best route to go. There is no lack of horror stories from the owners of any transmission when it comes to a flush. Especially at the likes of the quickie shops who use universal fluids and contaminated machines. A generic machine flush is actually one of the last things I would do.

A DIY thorough flush can be done by disconnecting the transmission lines, aiming them into a receptical, and starting the car. Run it until the fluid quits pumping, add fresh fluid to continue the pumping, until you see fresh fluid running out. At that point you are nearly 100% fresh fluid. This is actually covered in the service manual. Won't argue that it's overkill for a car with simply older fluid. Just that it is more thorough and completely DIY.
Have you ever had a proper auto trans flush done at a reputable OEM dealer ? I clearly posited that the machines are expensive and rare. I stand by my statements. We are talking 2020 equipment era and OEM

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Your opening words "there is no doubt that a machine clean and flush is the best way to do it." And that simply isn't true.
Forums get boring after a while due to comments like this Have you any technical experience with transmissions ? If so present by all means the evidence. In the meantime GM provide a transmission cleaning machine as part of the essential tools a dealer is mandated to acquire to service vehicles.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Forums get boring after a while due to comments like this Have you any technical experience with transmissions ? If so present by all means the evidence. In the meantime GM provide a transmission cleaning machine as part of the essential tools a dealer is mandated to acquire to service vehicles.
The claim is yours to substantiate, that "there is no doubt that a machine clean and flush is the best way to do it." Feel free to present the proof of that claim.

Can a machine flush be done well? Of course! I've never said it couldn't.

I just cautioned against the hyperbole of no doubt and best.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
OMG. Aisin transmission has no easily replaceable filter. There are screens on the internal solenoids. Machine flush hooks into AT lines. Cleaner is then pumped and circulated through the transmission under light pressure. Tech 2 is used to activate solenoids in a “ shake ” sequence and drop debris off screen into the cleaning sequence. Machine then rinses transmission and lastly refills with correct fluid. / end thread

·
Registered
322 Posts
Chuckle, that’s not a proof. It’s just a generic description of how any transmission fluid exchange machine works. With a few embellishments you threw in.

At least throw in a picture of the GM manual where is describes shaking debris off screens. ;-)

Never mind. I suspect we’ve all got your measure by now. Ta!

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Rubbish. And the Saab tech I use certainly described the process activating the solenoids. Perhaps you should talk to aisin borg Warner. I said that there is no doubt they process is best. I don’t do it. Can’t afford to pay for five gallons of trans fluid. Isn done discussing it with you. But I have used the machine on the avalanche and other W car GM products at 350-500,000 km on original transmission. Do you really think dealers and GM would spend the bucks if it wasn’t the best procedure to flush and replace ALL the trans fluid including converter ? . Even with three drain and fills you don’t replace 100% fresh fluid. Your criticism is just sad. Over and out

1 - 19 of 19 Posts