SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had some time to look at the front end today. First thing I noticed was the right side wheel nuts were less tight than usual...felt like 50-60 lbs. Not sure it's a big factor. Moving on to the suspension components everything seems ok...balljoints have very minimal play [yes, I checked them with a arm shims in place]. Checked all of the bolts, etc. Tightened up the upper ball joint bolts but that was all I found "out of spec". The brake rotors look pretty true from a visual inspection.

Moved on to another posibilty...the passenger side motor mount. My shifter tends to vibrate so I thought I would check further. Using a mild pry bar I checked the movement and with little effort it moves about 1/4 of an inch upward...I can "rock" the motor a bit. Research says this mount is prone to failure from heat. Is this "normal" play or my possible culprit?

I shimmed the mount with a piece of rubber and the vibration appears to have been reduced.

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
Are the wheels properly ballanced and has tracking / wheel alignment been properly set? These two things can contribute to wheel wobble on the 900. The double-wishbone setup means the 900 is less prone to wheel wobble than a mcpherson strut setup on a more conventional design. Ball-joints and wheel bearings are other possible causes. But they are less likely than the first two I mentioned.

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
BTW... I have had wheels ballanced badly before. On one occassion I bought new wheels and new tyres. I asked a local garage to mount the tyres for me and they did it but it was done by a junior tech and he didn't do the job properly. I took them to another more trustworthy tyre fitters and they found the wheels had not been properly ballanced. They did them again and the wheel wobble went away. I had ruled out wheel balancing as a cause since I thought I had had them properly ballanced in the first place! :roll:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep...had the same thing happen when I put on the new tires. Had a vibration at speed and went back. I had someone else check and they were both out.

This vibration is more of a "in the seat" type of problem. It also is only coming when I accelerate hard. I am convinced it is a drivetrain issue. I did an axle service two months ago and the inner drivers/tri pod bearings are good, so are the cv joints. When I placed the rubber shim into the passenger side motor mount the vibration lessened. This in combination with my shifter shaking and the occasional notch I get in fifth when shifting.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed...

Just finished installing a new motor mount...the old one was fully compressed, almost metal to metal. Most of the vibration [and shakey shifter] is gone. Next I will check the condition of the driver side mount.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
had a problem on my son's c900 a few weeks back had been saying about a 'vibration' from the wheels,.. did all you have said above(not engine mount prob) and no difference, but got up one morning and tyre was flat, so popped the spare on and drove to mine to borrow full size one and when I looked at it there was thin bits of wire sticking out the tread,:eek: and when I asked the tyre place what the cause/ problem was, he said the tyre had delaminated and got air between the layers, so instead of having a bleb on the side wall as you might have seen,????.. it was on the bottom so was wearing the tyre out and vibrating all in one hit, the tread actually looked like you had done an emergency stop at very high speed and locked your tyre, but not really possible as it's an ABS model:cheesy:, but just to bear in mind for the future

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have new shoes on all four corners [Uniroyal Tigerpaws]. "Most" of the vibration has subsided but I still have some coming from my exhaust end pipe. I am replacing it with a new OEM pipe this weekend...then I plan on replacing all of the suspension bushings over the next few months.

I love this car!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts