SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

got a wacky light situation going on. When I put on my fogs, they come on very dimly (front fogs i mean, rear are fine), as well as the driving lights -also dim. When the fogs are off, and I put full beam on, the driving lights do nothing. when they used to be really bright!

In the fuse box, the relay on right side, at the back (as if standing at back of car) looks like it has been pretty hot at some point, the legs are slightly blackened, not hugely - is it normal for relays to heat up slightly? I think this is the driving light relay.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem? :roll:

pictures attached...

cheers

Tom

Attachments

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Well what rally stage are you planning on doing:lol:

I think your wiring is being over loaded, Saab never left an extra wiring loom for an addition set of lamps so I would install another feed and relay for your second set of lamps, never over load the wiring, its a good way to scrap your wiring loom and bin a car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha, Paris - Dakar!

the thing is I think they are on a different circuit! They used to work separately you see....and well. Fog lights would always switch off, upon turning the main beam (+drivers) on... this would avoid the overload right...?

·
4,637 Posts
Bad ground I'd say. If the lamps are all separately wired, you'll have to go hunting for the relays somewhere under the bonnet. I'd say the feed to the fog lamps relay comes via the driving lamps relay. However, they're probably sharing the same ground and this is no longer making good contact with the body. When fog lamps are on, they are getting a ground through the driving lamps but, with the driving lamps on, that ground is no longer available.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks, i've read that the cross member ground is a good place to start..... will investigate further..

·
Registered
888 Posts
tomsamps said:
ok thanks, i've read that the cross member ground is a good place to start..... will investigate further..
I agree. I would try using a test hard wired good ground wire from the battery and seeing if the light gets brighter hooked up to this ground wire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts