SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What switch is the foglight switch...is it the button inside or some special mechanical switch somewhere? (and why is it 60 bucks when the foglight kit is only 99!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Haha...what?!

What do you mean? You pay 99 bucks for the foglights, and then another 60 to make them work? :D

Anyway......the foglight switch is the round switch to the left of the steering wheel, you pull the knob outwards to switch the rear foglights on and turn the knob to the right to switch the front ones on, at least on my SS MY 04.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,087 Posts
Effectively we don't have the same car........

Sounds like you have a 9-3 but '02 or earlier.
but then again I can be wrong.. which has often proven to be the case..:nono;
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
DavidMorgan said:
Effectively we don't have the same car........

Sounds like you have a 9-3 but '02 or earlier.
but then again I can be wrong.. which has often proven to be the case..:nono;
Who was that for? The guy that started this thread has a ´03 model, and I have a ´04 model.

Je ne comprend rien :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,087 Posts
Moi n'ont plus tout que que tu raconte resemble à ma '98 9-3..

With the recent 9-3s to add the fog lights front or back it is a question of buttons to press and not something to turn..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
DavidMorgan said:
Moi n'ont plus tout que que tu raconte resemble à ma '98 9-3..

With the recent 9-3s to add the fog lights front or back it is a question of buttons to press and not something to turn..
Might be different on the Swedish models, I might be wrong though, I rarely use the front fog lights, but I think I´m correct, whatever that means :roll:

Peut-être ton Saab francais nést pas un Saab? :cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wtf is going on lol


alright...the foglight kit is 99 dollars...a "switch" is 60...

what i am asking is...what is the switch. There are 2 switches, one for HID, one for halogen.

I thought it was a button that turned them on/off which is at the Night/DRL/Off setting area to the left of the steering wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
You have to excuse us europeans in this forum, we really are quite brilliant in our own language :roll: . Actually, perhaps that only goes for Swedes :cheesy:

I was wrong and, frenchy here was right :evil: about the button being just that, a button and not a knob, that was in my Audi.

I have bi-xenon headlights, I´m not sure if you get another switch with the Halogen ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,945 Posts
Let me take a whack at your question. I'm not sure I understand it the way you worded it, but here goes...

My research shows that you need the kit (just the lamps, housings & hardware for $110) and the switch for $69. So total is $179, and you have to add dealer installation and/or Tech II on top of that (required). Read more here: www.mrandmrs-g.net/SGFOG/item-c07.htm

The switch is a pushbutton switch, in the top left position of the headlight switch. (Top right is rear foglight, standard on all 9-3s I think) It is electrical, and I'm pretty sure you cannot use a regular on/off toggle switch to enable the fogs, unless you wire the whole thing yourself.

Hope this helps...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Viscouse, so the button is just that, a tiny plastic thing?

can I buy one off ebay for like 20 bucks? Same thing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
:cheesy: oh man, sorry for those who involve in this thread but this one is really funny!!

Can't wait for the next chapter!!!

(can i switch the switch... loll)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,087 Posts
Chuck can you grab another bottle of Scotch.. I think we'll need it.:roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Sorry, noob here. Just got my first Saab (06 9-3). What are rear fog lights? I have them but not sure I understand the purpose. I don't have the front ones but there is a place for the pushbutton, to the left of the headlight dial (the rear ones are to the right)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
spartanrob said:
Sorry, noob here. Just got my first Saab (06 9-3). What are rear fog lights? I have them but not sure I understand the purpose. I don't have the front ones but there is a place for the pushbutton, to the left of the headlight dial (the rear ones are to the right)
The rear fog light is a single lamp on the rear of the vehicle, located with the brake lights and tail lights. When activated, it looks like you're braking, but it's only a single light. It's easiest to see at night. Your headlights must be in the 'on' position for it to work. It's only a single light, only on one side of the vehicle. It's there as a safety precaution when driving in poor weather. I use mine when it's raining or foggy and I can barely see the guy in front of me unless he brakes. I've only seen them on european cars; I believe they're required in most parts of Europe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
ScoopSS, you will need the complete headlight switch assembly which comes with two pushbutton switches, one to the left of the main dial switch (front fog) and one to the right, (rear foglights). An aftermarket "switch" would require rewiring the complete fog light wiring harness (multiplexed wiring, remember!) so not really an option unless you are brave...

As to which of the switches you need, this depends on whether your car has bi-xenon headlights or halogen, as the switches differ. If your exisiting headlight switch has a scale to the left of the "headlamp on" setting which adjusts the headlight aim (beam height adjustment) your car has halogen headlamps. Xenon equipped cars have automatically adjusting headlamps so the switch does not have this feature.

European cars have to have rear foglamps fitted by law, fronts are optional but common, although modern bi-xenon headlamps effectively do away with the need for front foglamps. As the name suggests, they are to increase your vehicle's visability in fog. In the UK it is illegal to have them switched on unless it is foggy...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,231 Posts
JBob said:
As to which of the switches you need, this depends on whether your car has bi-xenon headlights or halogen, as the switches differ. If your exisiting headlight switch has a scale to the left of the "headlamp on" setting which adjusts the headlight aim (beam height adjustment) your car has halogen headlamps. Xenon equipped cars have automatically adjusting headlamps so the switch does not have this feature.
Actually, U.S. spec cars do not have the ability to adjust the aim of the headlights. Something about the government not trusting us not to blind oncoming traffic... :cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Malibu said:
Actually, U.S. spec cars do not have the ability to adjust the aim of the headlights. Something about the government not trusting us not to blind oncoming traffic... :cheesy:
Hmmm, my 9-2x had adjustable xenons... The adjustment only allows you to move the beams lower, as that is what would be required if you were towing something that weighs down the rear end.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top